MAC V.S CUSTOMIZED COMPUTER

Forum for Apple Mac computers
CraigG

Again, a matter of opinion...

Post by CraigG »

...and personal experience. I'm happy with PC and Windows. I have already stated my reasons - many of which prove the generalizations made about the shortcomings of Windows based systems are not always true (even in these forums). I have no significant horror stories to tell after using a PC based recording system for the past 7 years and I am very satisfied as are, I'm sure, many other people using Windows based recording systems.

Again, and in answer to the original question, you can go either way and have a good experience. It simply depends on what you want and need to do and what kind of budget you have to work with.

That's all from this camp representative,

Craig
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: MAC V.S CUSTOMIZED COMPUTER

Post by Artemiy »

I told you I am biased :-D
jcthemc

Post by jcthemc »

well I might as well weigh in.

I have been a PC support Technician and the simple fact that stuff that is made to work with a Mac actually works out of the box is enough for me.

I built a custom p4 laptop that cost me $2500 wholesale straight from the distributer. a Channel distributer not tigerdirect. I bought all top hardware and built the laptop piece by piece and after it is all put together i experience compatibility issues, USB chooses whether or not to work on it own whim. and I have noise in the audio from the hard drive. everything needs a wizard and a setup and all kinds of tweaks just to work.

If I had the opportunity to switch to a MAC I would in a heart beat.
I have always railed on MACS as a PC tech but I will agree that matched hardware is always better than top horsepower and tweak ability.

matched and engineered hardware is what makes TV's work so great. imagine building your own TV from misc parts.. who knows how horrible that would be.

Get one of the new CoreDuo MACS and you have the best of both

JC THE MC...
Fantom X6 2.10,Traction 2.0,Sound Forge 8,Acid 4.0,Mackie Onyx /w firwire option, Kliptch Pro media monitors, sennheiser hd 280 pro headphones
GregC

Post by GregC »

many Mac people are converted from many years of PC/Windows nonsense

I converted 3 years ago

While XP has gotten ' better ' it obviously had major room for improvement

GregC
jcthemc

Post by jcthemc »

i think the real insanity is what microsoft has done with vista.

I am tired of their BulSh@!# they make higher and higher demands on the hardware but deliver less every time their OS is broken and they know it. they keep on building on a poor design structure and it is insane. I cant wait till I find a new career outside of computer support

JC THE MC...
Fantom X6 2.10,Traction 2.0,Sound Forge 8,Acid 4.0,Mackie Onyx /w firwire option, Kliptch Pro media monitors, sennheiser hd 280 pro headphones
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, Vista is a real horror... It will require major upgrades to most PC systems, and it even costs more than XP. This is simply ridiculous to say the least!
venkiee

Post by venkiee »

Guys !

Here's the Specs valid as on date for a good Audio PC based on Expertise and testing (Myself). Holds pretty good for Protools (Digi 002 / Rack / Mbox). I built myself....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mother board: ASUS P5 WD2 Premium
Processor : Intel Dual Core DC E6400 2.13 Ghz (min)
Hard Disk: Seagate SATA 2 320 GB x 2 (One System and One Audio)
RAM : Kingston DDR2 800 2 GB
Graphics card : MSI PCI-E Dual Head DVI
DVD RW - Any (Prefer Plextor / Samsung / LG)
Casing : Antec Sonata (Quite) www.antec.com
Monitors : 2 x 17" LCD (any.. of your choice)
then....Windows OS...

Note: You must make this PC exclusive for Audio and dont rn applications like Internet (not even connect), MS office, Even Antivirus....Free from all the above applications will make your PC perform like a stallion...than MAC...

Approx. Budget (incl. OS) for above spec...USD 1500/-

------------------------------------------
Venkiee

Fantom X6 (fully maxed)....Triton Extreme....Edirol MA-15D monitors....Rane SM82S....
Protools Digi002R....Reason 3....
Custom made PC....
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

venkiee:

LOL!!!

So you offer a $1500 PC which you can't use for anything than audio, then you will also need a $500 PC with about $500 worth of software (antivirus, utilities, office, etc.) to browse the web, etc. That makes up to about $2500.

And this is cheaper than a Mac? And how easy will it be for you to get your stuff from your friends/collaborators from your e-mails into your audio projects? This is so funny.

Now... A Mac with a 20" widescreen LCD, 2.13 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD is $1500. This is a super-silent machine which will consume a laptop share of power. Loads of amazing stuff out of the box (DAW, movie editing, zero setup audio/MIDI...). And you don't need a second one...
GregC

Post by GregC »

artemio, stop making sense.

Some Windows PC folks have brain lock. Old habits die hard

GregC
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

:-D
CraigG

Just had to go there

Post by CraigG »

Mac guys,

You just had to go there, didn't you? I suppose I should have expected as much.

Well, at least you have confirmed one of my earlier statements about some Mac users having a tendency to put down Windows boxes and their users. I, personally, don't care if you're Mac converts/Windows turn-coats or little green men from Mars, my Windows XP based workstation works great for me - browsing the web, doing word processing, spreadsheets, running my billing software, designing web pages or working with my real professional audio software. Maybe it's been luck, maybe it's been skill, maybe my 9 years as a PC support tech and 28 years working with computers has made a difference. Regardless, until Macs get a pro audio solution that rivals Cakewalk Sonar, I don't want or need to look at a Mac.

I haven't said that Mac's aren't good. I have only said I have not been impressed enough by what I have seen of them to even consider changing. As stated previously, I answered the original question about Windows based workstations based on my experience. Suddenly the discussion jumped into the neverending Macs are superior than PC's campaign. Again, that's YOUR experience and, for you, it's valid and I'm glad you're happy with your decision. But why is it so difficult for you to simply acknowledge that it is possible to have an affordable Windows based solution that can function well as a professional audio workstation and a general use PC? Mine is quite happy in both roles. Maybe, in the end, when all things are considered, I have spent nearly as much on my system as you did initially for a Mac. But I do know that I ended up with the components that meet my specific desires and I ended up with true professional recording software. And, truth be told, I didn't spend countless hours configuring or trouble-shooting.

I'm done adding to this thread. You can continue to have your little fun making party if that's what you need to reassure yourselves that Macs are the best quality solution available. The truth is, there are fantastic Windows based solutions available and, since most people likely already know Windows from their vocations, they won't have to learn another OS. There are those of us who are quite happy with our Windows based audio systems and there's an entire professional audio industry that affirms, recognizes and respects Windows based solutions; those are the things that really matter most.

Craig
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Craig, come on, do not get upset with the Mac-defensing rubbish we write - because yes we are green creatures from Mars!

Seriously, it's good you are able to work on Windows, because I am not - I use it in my PhD lab and it's horrible and so unstable...
CraigG

Ok.

Post by CraigG »

OK. I'll try to control my frustration. I just get tired of the PC bashing - from Mac commercials to Mac users - when I know it's simply not true.

BTW, sounds like you need to find better tech support people for your lab. I support roughly 180 PCs (notebooks and desktops), by myself, in my position and, generally, they run just fine. There are 3 other support people in my office who support a similar number of XP boxes. It's usually poorly written 3rd party applications that give Windows the most problems. I can't really blame Microsoft completely for that. If anything, I would fault Microsoft for not imposing stricter software compliance guidelines for 3rd parties.

Craig
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Craig, again, I am not bashing, I am just kidding - but based on some experience.

Well, I would not bash Windows if I ever saw a working computer with it normally running - but I haven't!

I used 98 and Me for about a year each, had to reinstall the system once in about 4-6 months. And regarding our lab - well there is no such thing as tech support, as all are engineers in there and they are "self-tech-support" type. I see most systems just get re-installed once in a while.

When XP came out I switched to Linux and never looked back. Linux was quite stable but unusable for pro audio, so when I could afford a new computer I went for a Mac. And here again I do not look back.

BTW, please tell me - have you actually *worked* on a Mac? Like for a month or so, just on a Mac? What do you base your conclusions on?
bassman

Post by bassman »

I just love these kind of threads. . . for the entertainment value alone!

I'll join the fray by saying that I have also been in the IT business for 26 years. But so what. . ?. . . ?. . .

It's like any gear discussion. It doesn't really matter. What gets lost in the wordsmithing is that the end product is what matters. Come on, folks! Jimi Hendrix did more with just a Fender Stratocaster, Fuzz Face, and Wah-Wah pedal than 99% of the guitar players on the planet today. And look at the technology that is available to them. Einstein formulated his Theory of Relativity without a MAC or Windows PC. What, you say?!! Yes, it actually happened!

So, to coin the cliche, it ain't what you got, it's what you do with it. Hey, Art and Craig, give me an abacus and slide rule and I'll take down your computers!! Yeah, baby, that's what I'm talkin' about! I bet you I can take my clothes down to the river and beat them on the rocks and get them cleaner than your new-fangled washing machines!. . . . but wait a minute, I'm digressing here.

Art, Windows 98 and ME?? ME was the biggest mistake in an OS ever made. No wonder you left Windows behind!

I'm in line to get an Intel MAC Book Pro. I'm going to run my Windows-based programs and MAC programs it. So I'll be as happy both you guys put together. Yeah, baby. . . .! . .
;-p

Bassman