MAC V.S CUSTOMIZED COMPUTER

Forum for Apple Mac computers
CraigG

How many times do I have to repeat myself

Post by CraigG »

Artemio,

Already said, I support 180 PC. Very few problems and most because of 3rd party software. My experience.

Already said, I have done a limited amount of Mac configuring to get them on our Novell network. Simply didn't see enough to make me change my mind.

Already said, until there is a Mac solution that can compete with Cakewalk Sonar, the software I use, there's no reason for me to change.

You keep posing questions that I have already answered.

Craig
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: MAC V.S CUSTOMIZED COMPUTER

Post by Artemiy »

You keep posing questions that I have already answered.
Craig, not exactly, I only asked *one* question - it's was about the amount of experience you had with Mac and OS X. I can tell you that with just a few days on it you cannot really see the benefits. I only started to really appreciate OS X after about 6 weeks working with it. Also if you are not familiar with UNIX systems goodness you may miss part of OS X's appeal as well.
venkiee

Post by venkiee »

Artemio & GregC,

Looks like you guys work for Steve Job...w/o being paid by him.....lol.....

BTW...

I am here not to support Gates or Steve Job....

I know Mac is ok..but see & compare my specs with your mac....see the options you have in windows than...mac..vst...plugins....drivers...so on

Also any upgrade on mac is considered expensive....

I am using 2 x 19" LCD and why to end with single 20" display....Do you get that in MAC....???

If you are building a pc for audio, what is the necessity of having internet, ms office on that machine...you can do all this activities in a old laptop.....my intention is dedicate a pc for audio..Of course I agree that PC is vulnerable to virus attack more than mac...however..just my advice if the guy wants to build a pc...

finally again I am not merchandising MAC or PC..:-)

------------------------------------------
Venkiee

Fantom X6 (fully maxed)....Triton Extreme....Edirol MA-15D monitors....Rane SM82S....
Protools Digi002R....Reason 3....
Custom made PC....
CraigG

Already answered that one too...

Post by CraigG »

Craig, not exactly, I only asked *one* question - it's was about the amount of experience you had with Mac and OS X.

As I already stated, I have configured several Macs for our Novell network and didn't see enough to compel me to change. For me, there was no "wow" factor. My XP system runs great, solid, reliably and Sonar woops the feature-set off the pro audio solutions for Mac. I'm perfectly happy doing Windows.

Craig
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

CRAIG DOES WINDOWS AND ME DOES SHUT UP.

;-)
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

Wow.... Artemio.. you have fallen in my eyes bro.

I used to think you were a pretty sharp kid. I use to admire your ingenuity, and your free thinking.

Now you're just an Apple Zombie.

I've worked with OS9, I've done several upgrades to OSX 10.0.1, 10.1.2, 10.2.3, 10.4.0, etc...

And let me tell you from my experience, it is no different. OS9 was a joke compared to Win98, and OSX 10.1.0 was a joke compared to XP. Prettier, but much much more of a headache.

& While I love Apple's approach, with iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iThe Kitchen sink, and GarageBAnd coming with every mac, I don't want to have to pay for this free software.

Get me a $300 machine, and let me put the software(open source anyone??) I want to put on there.

What?? there's a new faster processor out?? Heck, let me just buy that bad boy, and slap it into my PC, and not have to upgrade my whole system, and replace everything else that I'm happy with.

Pros & Cons, they both have them. Some folks like Blue, some like red. Some want 4x4s, and other's want low riders. The Apple works for you, but is ass backwards to me.

I was actually lurking through this forum, looking for linux news, tips, advice....

And now, I see you've turned.

Allthough the new Apples are little more than custom PCs running custom Linux..

FantomX8
FantomS
AW4416
Now all I need is talent.
Anyone selling any talent??
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
tundrkys98@yahoo.com Yahoo messenger: tundrkys98
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I think that if importing a photo from a camera takes 2 clicks on Mac OS X and 5 clicks on Windows, then OS X is better. All is more simple and logical there. I already told I use Windows in my PhD lab on several machines and it keeps on hanging and giving errors even during everyday tasks. Please let me have my opinion. Macs are not for everyone, they are for those who think different.
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

Well, on my XP machines, it's just one click. I plug in the camera(I have 3 in the house now, & I've had 10 over the years) right now, I've got Adobe Starter edition set to pop up as soon as the camera is plugged in. It pops up ready to import the photos... it creates a new folder and puts the new pictures in that folder. All I have to do is click yes, and the pictures are downloaded to my XP machine. When that is done, it asks me if I want to delete the original pictures.. there is a little box that I can check, and from then on, it'll erase the photos if I choose yes, or it won't if I choose no, and never ask again. I like to be asked, so I don't check the little box.

& it doesn't matter what camera I plug in, or if I plug in a compact flash, SD card, or a thumb drive. If it's got pictures on it, Adobe will start up, and I'm one click away from importing my pictures.

& since I love you, I'm going to stop short of calling you a liar in regards to an XP machine locking up frequently. I've built way too many, maintained way too many, and work with way too many machines to believe that is true.

Even Win98SE shouldn't be having that problem. And if it is either 98SE, or XP, I'll email you my address, and you can send it to me. I'll fix it and send it back to you at no charge.

As soon as someone comes up with a program that 80% of PCs run, that emulates the Mac OS, then I'll believe Apple is onto something. But until then, I'll believe that Wintel is the better option.

FantomX8
FantomS
AW4416
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

To each one his own... But I am not a liar, switching to a Mac was reasoned by a dozen of Windows systems that continued to frustrate me day after day. I haven't seen a single Windows machine that did not hang, give an error or do something for too long.
I've got Adobe Starter edition
Well, iPhoto comes on all Macs out of the box for free ;-) There is not much at all an average user needs to install on a Mac in addition to all bundled software which integrates so well together.
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

"Well, iPhoto comes on all Macs out of the box for free ;-) There is not much at all an average user needs to install on a Mac in addition to all bundled software which integrates so well together. "

That's great, but it's not free. IT's in the cost of the machine. You get top of the line video, top of the line sound, and very useful apps right out of the box, but the box ain't cheap.

Where I can get a $300 Wintel machine & surf the net just as easily, just as well. I don't have iPhoto. No biggie, maybe I don't do anything at all with pictures. Maybe I'll get a free app with my camera, that I'll like just as well, maybe I get Serif PhotoPlus for free, and like it just as well.

same thing with whatever iTunes. maybe I like Napster, maybe I like MediaMonkey. Maybe I don't want to pay for something I don't want.

iDVD. You know there are opensource free programs that let you do the same thing, as long as you pay for the codec. You got it free with your mac, Mine came free when I upgraded to a DVDBurner without replacing the rest of my PC, that did everything I wanted it to do, but burn DVDs.

Now, to clarify this Windows hanging up thing, or whatever problem.

Are we talking Windows XP?? ME?? 98SE?? 98?? 95?? 3.2.1?? or all Windows machines in general??

FantomX8
FantomS
AW4416
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

This is way off subject, but. check out my desktop

FantomX8
FantomS
AW4416
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Please, let's stop here okay? I just want to say I know people who switched to Macs, but not much who looked back. Period.
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

That's fine. We can stop here.

I'll just say I know a lot of Mac Heads who run Windows Emulation programs.

period.

FantomX8
FantomS
AW4416
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, myself included: sometimes I need to unpack self-unpacking archives or such stuff. There are many people who depend on apps like Autocad which are not available for Macs, and such emulation software allows them to get the best of both worlds.

BTW your desktop looks very clean, that's a good sign. Mac OS is clean everywhere ;-)
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Actually, I think the best decision for those who can afford it, is to have both. There a many of us who have multiple computers for various purposes. I have a stripped down XP and it does the job nicely. The trick is to know what to trash. Having said that, though, a Mac is definitely on the horizon for me, not as a replacement, but as an addition.

Sorry to keep this topic going, but I thought I would add the strategy of having both rather than running emulators in either.

EJ2 - Double EJ Projects: 9 Fully Karmafied Combi Collections for the Korg Karma or KarmaTriton http://2ej2.tripod.com/