DAW software

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Igglethorpe

DAW software

Post by Igglethorpe »

I was curious if people could post which DAW they use and why. I will soon be in the market for one. I am leaning towards Logic or Ableton Live.

I honestly don't know what I'm looking for in a DAW since I've never effectively used one. I just want to get some opinions of others on what they use and why.

Looking forward to the posts!

----------------------------------
Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
CraigG

Sonar

Post by CraigG »

I use Cakewalk's Sonar. In part because Cakewalk's Pro Audio had the highest ratings in the Windows based market at the time I started experimenting with DAW software. I have stuck with Cakewalk since that time and had no regrets. Cakewalk's software consistently gets high points, has a history of reliability, and they seem to be leading, rather than following, trends in the Windows DAW software market.

Whatever you end up getting, I would strongly suggest you check out the manufacturer's own user forums. You can learn a lot about a product, it's reliability and the customer support provided by the developer that way. Also pay attention to those who post comments who moved from a competing product as their reasoning can often be very compelling.

Craig
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: DAW software

Post by Artemiy »

Igglethorpe:

Try out GarageBand which is included on all Macs. It's a bit limited (has no MIDI sequencing of external gear, 16 bit 44.1 kHz resolution only) but you can use virtual instruments and effects as well as audio tracks. It's fun to use and I think it's the best DAW in terms of the distance between your idea and the zeroes and ones in your computer.

Anyway, you can check out:
- Digital Performer
- Cubase
- Logic
- Live

Out of these I think Live has the most "different" concept of the workflow which may be and may not be good for you. The bad thing about DP and Logic is that there are no trial versions (only for Logic Express). Out of all I think Logic still has the most potential in there and best price/features ratio (e.g. you get like 20 synths and 30 effects in there while with DP it's 4-5 times less and with Live you have no synths/samplers at all). Also I do not suggest you get Logic 7 because it's very likely and expected for Logic 8 to appear soon.

CraigG:

Igglethorpe didn't mention he uses a Mac.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi Igglethorpe.

Since you didn't mention which computer platform you're using and you mentioned Logic, I assume you're using a Mac and not a Windows PC since Logic is not available for Windows.

I use Apple's Logic Pro 7.2. The reasons I chose it are:
  1. - Was the only Universal Binary DAW at the time I was looking (MOTU's Digital Performer is Universal Binary now as well).
    - Had the most comprehensive set of soft synths and software mastering effects available on the Mac
    - I was able to receive a significant educational discount for it because I work in an educational institution.
From the time I've used Logic Pro (about 4 months now), I'd have to say that the interface sucks. It's probably the worst user interface of any software Apple sells (and that's primarily due to legacy Emagic design). However, Logic Pro is very powerful and quite flexible, once you learn the annoyingly non-standard interface design. The learning curve is steep, but certainly worth it.

I've also messed with MOTU's Digital Performer 5.2 (the current release) and the interface design is much more intuitive and well thought-out. It doesn't have nearly as many software synths and effects as Logic Pro, but if you don't want to pay the full retail price for Logic Pro ($999), and don't need the plethora of soft synths in Logic Pro, DP is definitely an excellent option at half the retail price of Logic Pro. Cubase SX3 is still not Universal Binary as far as I know, so unless you have a PowerMac G5, I'd stay away from Cubase SX3. And, as Artemio mentioned, if all you're looking for is a simple soft synth player and audio recording + effects app, GarageBand is very capable (it has no MIDI output functions, but works with AU synths just like the Pro apps). It's the best free DAW out there (well, it's free with new Macs, $80 if you have an older Mac and want to upgrade to the latest version).

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to stick with Garageband for now, but I will probably head towards the Logic route. I may wait for Logic 8 and see if they work out some of their UI issues.

Due to Garageband not having any MIDI support for external gear, how would one use Garageband with MIDI equipment? Just record as audio tracks?

My Mac is the newer 13 inch with the Intel core duo processor, so universal binaries is where I need to go for future software.

Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Igglethorpe:

Good news for you, there is a MidiO plug-in that can be used inside GarageBand to use external MIDI gear. MidiO works as a software instrument, and lets you select the MIDI out and channel it'll work on. This means you can have as many external MIDI synths used with it right inside GB! Note, though, it doesn't yet support SysEx messages and program changes, so you cannot store the synth patches inside the GB project.

Download it below:
http://home.comcast.net/~retroware/midiO-1.2.zip
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi again.

Yes, without external MIDI instrument support, you'd record the keyboard performance into GarageBand as audio tracks. MidiO is an option, but in my testing, MIDI messages often are delayed, making the timing off in some places.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

I don't have an audio interface yet so recording audio to garageband would be a huge pain. I'll take a look at the plugin, but I might be better suited to just work with the Fantom X sequencer for now. I have everything routing through it as it is. I may use Garageband as supplement sounds and record them as audio tracks within the Fantom.

I dunno, I have enough equipement that I may not even need Garageband synths. Now I have to decide between Logic and Ableton.

Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Just incase everyone is curious, and since it does relate to DAW software, I thought I might tell you which hardware interface I'm looking into.

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1640/index.html

and

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxfirewire/

This will give me the best of both worlds and allow me to do live sounds as well. I may be selling my services as a mixer or producer as I have stumbled upon a great teacher showing me the ropes.

Anyway, was just an update on this whole DAW thing...

Fantom X8 (2.10) 512MB
Fantom XR (2.02) 512MB
V-Synth XT (2.02)
SH-201
picaja

Post by picaja »

Hi,

Last month I bought an Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire in combination with Sonar 6.
The Multimix is cheap for a firewire mixing desk (I paid 530 Euro for the alesis) and it works great with the latest firmware and drivers released this month.

In the Atari ST days I used Cubase and switching to Sonar was easy. I still use the FantomX's sequencer but I do all the audio recording/mixing with Sonar. Still learning how to use compressors/limiters/effects and finding the right balance.

I'm sure the Mackies are better (less noise, better overall quality). As I'm not a pro the mackie was to expensive for me. If you are selling your services as a mixer/producer the mackie is a very good choice!

This is just my opinion.

joeri