Problems with FW interfaces and spikes...

Forum for Apple Mac computers
SammyJames

Problems with FW interfaces and spikes...

Post by SammyJames »

Hey guys:

I was on-line earlier today, and I ran across some interesting discussions on FireWire Audio interfaces and spikes in CPU activity. I'm not sure if this is related to anything that anyone here has trouble with. If anyone here cares, I can find the articles again and post them here.

Let me know.

- Sammy

Sammy James has been approved for use by people who need approval.

http://www.sammyjames.com/music.htm
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Problems with FW interfaces and spikes...

Post by Artemiy »

If you're talking about Windows machines - just as with everything else, FireWire implementation is very low-quality, and you can experience drop-outs once in a while. It is VERY bad considering FireWire is the most hardcore consumer protocol designed for professional uses. You can find many articles on this, FW beats USB 2.0 by 20-30%, and is much more advanced in many ways. Leave USB to photo cameras, FireWire is for pro audio and video.
SammyJames

Re: Problems with FW interfaces and spikes...

Post by SammyJames »

Hey Artemio:

I don't know! I'll have to find the article again. It isn't that big of a deal, and of course I am using a FireWire interface. I decided to buy an M-Audio FireWire Solo; it is inexpensive and I don't need MIDI, because the Edirol will take care of that end of things.

This way I can also potentially use M-Powered (which I personally hate) but it could come in handy if I ever need to bring other projects into my computer.

Anyway, your assessments are on as always.

- Sammy

Sammy James has been approved for use by people who need approval.

http://www.sammyjames.com/music.htm