The only thing that I don't like about my new Mac...

Forum for Apple Mac computers
SammyJames

The only thing that I don't like about my new Mac...

Post by SammyJames »

...and it isn't the Mac's fault, so I'm complaining about nothing.

Well, not really "nothing." What I AM complaining about is that I was really enjoying playing this cool little synth that I had found on-line, called "SuperWave8" (found on SynthZone.com). The only problem?

It only works on PC!!! AAAargh!!!

Ah, well. If anyone has a suggestion on a similar free product, let me know. And if not, then I might pick up that cool Poizone thing, which is about $79 bucks, and is available through the FLStudio site.

Later.

- Sammy

Sammy James has been approved for use by people who need approval.

http://www.sammyjames.com/music.htm
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: The only thing that I don't like about my new Mac...

Post by Artemiy »

Sammy,

congratulations dude! I am sure your life will change to better now ;-)

Please drop me a line and I will send you the plug-ins I made.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

BTW Sammy, which one did you get? MacBook Pro? Which one, what config?
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Oh, hey man -- I got the 2.33 GHz Core2Duo with 2 Gigs of RAM and a 15.4" screen. It was stock. I will probably upgrade the RAM eventually, and will probably also go with the faster hard drive evenutally (it comes with the 5400 RPM, but I'd like to get the 7200).

Thanks man. Yes, I'm already enjoying myself MUCH more with this new computer. I think that I should be able to get something done on it by Thursday.

- Sammy

Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

That's a superb machine Sammy! Still awaiting for your e-mail.
bassman

Post by bassman »

Hello Sammy,

Your machine is the same config that I'll be ordering next month. I was thinking of getting 4 gig of memory with it, but that's an extra $700. I guess the real question is if it is worth it. 2 gig used to be considered a lot of RAM.

Have you considered running Windows on the Mac? I have some Windows apps that I will need to port over, so I'll do a little research on Boot Camp and Parallel.

Bassman
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

bassman:

I have 2 GB on my iMac, and even after long hours of heavy audio and video editing I haven't seen more than 1.3-1.4 GB used. My iMac also never ever swapped anything to disk. So I think for the next year or even two, 2 GB is well enough.
Deprincer

Post by Deprincer »

The thing is... many VSTi (like the virtual synth you're talking about) are run or setup as .exe files.

These are setup/install files for the pc only. So yeah, you might want to consider investing in running Windows on your mac as well using Parallel or something. Nice computer by the way, I can't wait to get a mac myself! :D

www.ValetInLA.com
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Note that almost all large companies offer both Windows and Mac versions of their software.
bassman

Post by bassman »

Sammy,

Thanks for the input. I can put $700 to other uses!

Bassman
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hey, Bassman:

First, you might want to get the 2.4 GHz version instead. I paid $200 less and got the 2.33, but it is also the last version of the MacBook Pro. I would get the newer one, because it will be a bit faster. (Not a ton, but faster anyway.) I just wanted this one right away, and I didn't care too much about the extra 0.07 GHz processing speed. After all, I'm not James Bond... I'm Sammy James.

I think that the 2 Gigs is fine. I might get the extra 1 Gig at some point, because I think that I can get it here in the U.S. for about 175 bucks or something, but it isn't urgent. I have been able to get some stuff done so far -- I will email you Artemio with a couple of MP3s soon. And yes, the processor is very nice. I have had only a little bit of trouble with the Kontakt stuff, but I also realized (figured out, really) that the problem was being caused by an unruly piano instrument, which was apparently configured improperly. (The original Steinway D Light.nki program was stacking up voices, which NO processor can handle. I loaded in the other version of it that came with the library CD, and it worked just fine.)

Oh, and also -- the Windows thing is probably unnecessary. Most VSTi programs come with both .dll and .vst versions. If they don't, then use something else. I have successfully loaded every instrument that I paid money for, including the Waldorf Edition and Kontakt 2. And I may buy the Poizone thing, but if I do, well -- they also support Mac OSX, so I should be good there too.

Anyway, thanks for all of your comments. I am SO much happier now!!! This computer is absolutely great. I have been bonding with it ever since it arrived last week. Take care.

- Sammy

bassman

Post by bassman »

Art and Sammy,

I'll be ordering the MacBook Pro in about 3 weeks, then waitng 2-4 weeks for delivery.

Thanks for providing useful info and helping me settle on the config that will work without totally breaking the bank.

Bassman
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

And Artemio:

Note that I did, in fact, send a couple of MP3 files to you. Actually, more than a couple (I kept on screwing one of them up). I will post this stuff publicly soon, but I'm still working out the bugs in the songs and in my web site. Anyway, enjoy.

By the way -- I am assuming that your personal email hasn't changed, right...?

- Sammy

Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No it has, many times ;-)

Please contact me via this page: http://sineshine.com/contact/.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Thanks.

- Sammy