Anone here using Apple Logic Express 7?

Forum for Apple Mac computers
rezfactor

Anone here using Apple Logic Express 7?

Post by rezfactor »

Well, after reviewing all the PC-and Mac-based DAWs, I think I'm going to go with an iMac + Apple Logic Express 7. I'm switching to Macs from PCs mainly in search of improved OS stability. Since Apple makes both the computer and the software, I thought this combo the most robust. I also picked this hardware/software combo since it seems to be one of the more stable, and trouble-free set-ups when used with Access' Virus TI VC softtware.

Any opinions on how Logic stacks up against similar DAW/sequencers are most welcomed (either PC or Mac, even though I'm definitely dumping my WindowsXP boxes and going all-Mac).
nsheldon

Re: Anone here using Apple Logic Express 7?

Post by nsheldon »

Hi rezfactor.

I use Logic Pro 7 myself. Because I had a Mac to begin with, I was really only looking at Mac-based solutions, but even in the Mac music market, there are 4 major contenders when it comes to DAW software.
  • - Apple's Logic Pro
    - Mark Of The Unicorn (MOTU)'s Digital Performer
    - Steinberg's Cubase SX
    - Digidesign's ProTools
All are professional grade applications with various advantages and disadvantages. However, ProTools is the established industry standard for professional medium to large studio work. Though it doesn't require external hardware to work, it generally is more useful and function with hardware specifically designed to work with ProTools.

I've only had first-hand experience with Logic Pro 7.2 and Digital Performer 5 (limited experience). Because I only have a home studio and do not do any large productions, ProTools is impractical and somewhat overpriced for me. In my opinion, DP 5 has a better user interface than Logic Pro 7 (ironically more Mac-like). I personally use Logic Pro 7 for my work. The reason I didn't go with DP was because at the time I was looking for DAW software, MOTU only had DP 4.5 out which was not yet "Universal Binary" (i.e. it wouldn't work on Intel-based Macs). Since I had an Intel-based Mac, that was out of the question, so I went with the only DAW software at the time that was Universal Binary, Logic Pro 7. It's somewhat cumbersome to learn, but powerful and (at least the Pro version) comes with more software synths than any of the other DAWs for Mac.
rezfactor

Post by rezfactor »

nsheldon:

Wow! Thanks for that detailed and informed reply! Yes, I'm familiar with ProTools' ubiquity in the industry (I work in television), but ProTools isn't really supported by my main reason for needing a DAW solution. The primary reason I'm buying a Mac and Logic, is for its presumed superior integration with Access' "VirusControl" software for the VirusTI Polar I just bought.

I've heard too many horror stories using Cubase and the Virus software, but that may be from PC users—can't always tell since many don't bother to post their system information. Still, the stories scared me off of Cubase. I'm basically looking for the most bullet-proof hardware/software combo, regardless of feature set, and if Apple makes both, that's gotta be a good thing. Just wondered how Logic "stacked up" against the other leading Mac apps. Thanks again for your helpful comments!
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi again.

Glad I could help. Sorry I skimmed over the part you were most interested in.

I've not used the Virus TI, but did read about it and the control software is comes with when it was first announced, and I just checked out their current software support area for the Virus TI. According to their web site, Access supports both VST (supported by Cubase) for both Mac and Windows, and Apple's Audio Units plug-in format (Mac only). Future support for ProTools RTAS (Mac/Windows) is stated, but I don't think they yet have that plug-in up.

In any case, on the Mac side, Audio Units is the most versatile plug-in format as it is supported in more Mac DAW applications (GarageBand, Logic Express 7, Logic Pro 7, MOTU Digital Performer 5, most smaller audio applications made exclusively for Mac). VST is only supported by Cubase and Logic Pro 7 (not sure about Logic Express 7) on the Mac. RTAS is only supported by ProTools and Logic Pro 7 (I think) on the Mac. Though Logic Pro 7 supports more than Audio Units, the Audio Units format is an Apple standard API so, as you pointed out, with all Apple hardware and software (and plug-ins designed specifically for Apple systems using Audio Units), you're likely to get a more seamless experience.

Since the Virus TI software comes with an Audio Unit plug-in, you can use it with Logic Express 7, GarageBand, Logic Pro 7, Digital Performer 5, or just about any other audio recording application on the Mac.

In any case, good luck and I hope you have a positive experience with your setup.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Don't forget that on Macs you also get two plug-in hosts for free: that is AU Lab and GarageBand. Both are fantastically useful. For instance, in AU Lab you can configure multiple instruments and effects, and then capture your realtime performance into an audio file.

Also, with the help of Audio Units, you can also connect several applications together - this is really magic. Like, for example, route the whole Logic output into AU Lab, then capture the live performance it into a file.
rezfactor

Post by rezfactor »

nsheldon:

Wow! Thanks again for all that helpful info! Really appreciate your detailed reply—lots of good information in there! Thanks for all your help!

Artemio:

It's so funny that you mention the "free AU plug-in," because, apparently, that's precisely what crashed someone's VC system that I just read about at VirusTI.com. As soon as he uninstalled the "free AU plug-in" (that's what he called it—don't know which one it was), the problem disappeared.
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Sorry if I missed it, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the release of Logic 8. It's available now and writeups are springing up all over the net. Worth looking into. If I can get Garageband down, I may look into Express. I don't think Logic Studio is necessary for what I do. The new price points are fantastic. No more dongle and Express goes for $199! Studio (which replaces Logic Pro) is only $499 which cuts this flagship products cost in half.