So what's your Audio Interface for recording?

Forum for Apple Mac computers
breakbeatah

So what's your Audio Interface for recording?

Post by breakbeatah »

I'm not sure whether to get an RME 800 or the 400. Can't decide!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: So what's your Audio Interface for recording?

Post by Artemiy »

Thread was moved to "Computers and Software".
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey Mr. Breakbeatah!

Sorry I can't help you with your decision. I use the Edirol M16DX Digital Mixer as my audio interface, and LOVE it! =)

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy

http://www.piaknow.com

nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi breakbeatah.

I use a MOTU Traveler as my audio interface.
rezfactor

Post by rezfactor »

Currently, I have none. I'm doing all my recording into my Fantom's audio tracks recorder. I am going to buy a new iMac and Apple Logic Express 7 soon (mainly to use Access' Virus Control software to manage my Virus Polar libraries), so I'll soon need to buy some sort of I/O for my computer. Someone on another board recommended the PCI-based M-Audio Audiophile 192 64-Bit audio interface (Mac/Windows) because it bypasses any USB or Firewire issues. Would also like to know what others here are using and what they have had successful experiences with, however.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi rezfactor.

Just a note about PCI solutions for the Mac... Only the Mac Pros (and older PowerMacs) have PCI slots. If you're going to be getting an iMac, it has no PCI slots (or any expansion bays other than RAM slots, for that matter). FireWire latency is exceptionally low though, I typically get around 5 ms latency on my MOTU Traveler (FireWire-based). Even with a PCI-based interface, though, you still have to contend with the software driver and OS layers. Apple claims that CoreAudio in Mac OS X can perform at 1 ms or faster latency (not accounting for driver software latencies, and I'm sure that's assuming a top-of-the-line Mac Pro). In any case, unless you're going to be doing large studio size work (24+ simultaneous ins and/or outs), FireWire will be more than adequate. USB, in the past, has had higher latency issues due, mostly, to varying OS and USB controller driver inefficiencies.

The USB standard actually allows for a portion of the data on the bus to be designated as "isochronous" (ultra-high priority synchronous), and, in theory, is well suited for such applications as multi-channel audio. However, because the isochornous features of USB aren't commonly used by manufacturers, and because of variances introduced by USB hubs and USB controller differences (as well as mixed USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices on the same bus), USB still presents more latency than FireWire for multi-channel audio. Because FireWire (a.k.a. IEEE 1394 and i.LINK) was originally used by Sony for their first DV camcorders (and thus became a standard for consumer digital video transfers), FireWire hardware and software developers pay much closer attention to isochonous data streams. There may also be other technical reasons for FireWire's lower latency that I'm not aware of (as I'm not an engineer).

Wow, all that just to say "FireWire is generally faster with multi-channel audio than USB as long as you don't plan on pumping more than 24 simultaneous high resolution audio channels through it at once." Sorry about that. :-)
rezfactor

Post by rezfactor »

Hey, nsheldon!

Thanks for all that info! Yes, I'm aware that I would have to move up to a MacPro to be able employ a PCI-based solution. But, typically, once a PCI board is installed with no conflicts, things are generally pretty solid after that, wouldn't you agree? I'm still considering a Firewire solution, but I've heard many users complain about problems with Firewire interfaces as well. I'll be integrating the reportedly very finicky Virus Control software for my Virus Polar (plus USB/MIDI connections to/from three other synths), so I'm trying to discern the most bullet-proof scenario possible for my future DAW set-up. Thanks again for all the info!

I was hoping to save some money with a scaled-down iMac just for my music, since I have to buy a separate power-workstation, a full-blown, 8GB/1TB MacPro someday to do my video work on it (4K HD downrezzed to Apple's ProRes 4:2:2 CODEC). Plus, the new iMacs just look so damned cool!
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi again.

Sorry breakbeatah, I'm trying to hijack your thread. :-)

Yes, PCI, once configured, is usually pretty stable. I've not heard a lot of FireWire complaints, but neither have I been looking lately. You can get away with an iMac for music production easily, I would think. FireWire, for your environment, might even be better than USB since you'll be having so many other high priority USB devices (Virus, MIDI gear) on the USB bus. Having your audio interface on the FireWire bus would prevent latency or conflicts related to USB devices.

As for the video setup, wow, yes. A Mac Pro would be pretty much a necessity for good HD ProRes video work. That setup will be pretty costly too (including Final Cut Studio).