Pulling my hair out with Garageband

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Igglethorpe

Pulling my hair out with Garageband

Post by Igglethorpe »

Gah... This is the very reason I don't like to use computers with my synths.. but I'm involved in a project that requires me to do so.

All I am trying to do is make the SH-201 an audio unit in Garageband. That is all... Unfortunately, I don't think it is setup correctly. The following has been done:

1) Drivers installed
2) Software Instrument track in the song created
3) Generator chosen is the SH-201 Editor AU

Whenever I have the track selected and play notes, the audio bar does not move within Garageband. When I record I only have MIDI data and no audio data. If I choose a Live instrument Track instead of a Software track, I get completely nothing at all and no way to select the SH-201 as an AU.

Anyone have any idea what the heck I could be doing wrong?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Pulling my hair out with Garageband

Post by Artemiy »

All is correct, SH-201 shows up as a software instrument, and is recorded as note events, not audio. I haven't had a chance to try the 201 with my Mac, but I think this should work: if you want to record it as audio, first record it as a software track. Then select SH-201 as an input for GB (in GB's preferences), and record an audio track while the software track is playing. You should have your 201 performance as an audio track now.
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Weirdness... Alrighty then. I really appreciate the quick response Art. I'll try an 8 bar song and see how it works.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Weirdness...
Nothing weird, as to me. Like in the Fantoms, if you want an instrument track to become an audio track, you need to resample it. But it's much easier in GB anyway.
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

You would prefer to use Garageband instead of the audio tracks built into the Fantom?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, I am using GarageBand as my studio's center now. I just do not want to depend on a specific piece of gear as a "workstation". I am mainly using GB to assemble stuff I am making with the V-Synth.

BTW, I am also looking forward to upgrading to iLife'08: the new GB version has 24 bit audio support, plug-in automation and 4 effect plug-ins per track.
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

I am too, mainly for the iPhoto upgrades. I haven't heard too much about the new Garageband other than the ability to create your own ensemble from preselected music styles.

I have to say, it is taking me forever to embrace the computer for music.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Well, not sure why it's hard for you, to me dragging a phrase to a place where you want it to be seems about a hundred times faster than using an edit menu to specify what and where and how to move.

BTW, for GarageBand '08 changes, see this nice page which lists most of them:
http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/FAQPa ... New08.html
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

It's harder for me mainly because of logistics. I just don't have a good setup at home to work with a computer. I like to have everything in front of me. Also, as has been explained in other threads, using one (even a Mac) kills my creativity whenever I have to mess with it. I'm sure as I get things more organized and learn more about the DAWs I want to use, it will become easier.

Then my next question is, why buy a Fantom workstation if you aren't going to use most of it's features? Live purposes only?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Actually I do not have a Fantom anymore, I sold it last year. Not because I did not like it or didn't need it, I just needed some funds. But I had a Juno-G for almost a year, now it's gone too but it will be replaced by an X6 soon ;-)

Anyway, why use such a synth with a DAW? For the sounds, of course. There are still too many things Fantoms can do so much better than any software synths.
jsepeta

why buy a fantom

Post by jsepeta »

even though i have lots of softsynths and other hardware synths, i bought a fantom x8 to be the center of my music production because:

1) turn it on, it plays. no freaking menus to select. piano button pulls up decent piano sounds. auto-loads better sampled pianos than garageband/logic pro when i turn it on (william coakley's)

2) tons of freaking sounds. organized into nice categories. can quickly record audio into Mac / PC without messing around with MIDI.

3) i love the sounds i get from my kurzweil k2500xs, but it's old and has a noisy fan, and i realized that the x8 would likely last longer.

4) drum pads are easier for me to bang out a beat 1 rhythm line at a time than using keys on a keyboard.

sure i could do all my production in the fantom itself, save for vocals and such, but having both an X8 and a Mac/PC is a better combination for how i prefer to work.