Compare latest iMacs

Forum for Apple Mac computers
EJ2

Compare latest iMacs

Post by EJ2 »

Greetings all,
I'm toying with the idea of getting into a Mac. Not being up to stats with the latest iMacs, I thought I would ask here. Other than the physical differences (plastic vs aluminum, no border vs black border etc.), what are the main differences between the last two versions of the core 2 duo iMacs? For example, what is the processing power differences for a 2.0 former model vs 2.0 black border model. Hope someone understands what I mean.
Cheers,
Eric
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Compare latest iMacs

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, correct, the two latest generations both use Core 2 Duo processors. According to what I know, the only main difference is the mainboard platform which has a 800 MHz system bus on the new aluminum models and 667 MHz on earlier white models. Memory is 667 MHz on both, though, so I am not sure the performance is notably different, especially if you compare both at 2 GHz.

Frankly, I would have a look at both of them in real. I am a little sceptic about the new glossy screens (although I am yet to see them), but you personally may like them better than matte screens on white models. Though, if you'll prefer a matte screen, you will also get a lower price on the previous generation iMacs.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi Eric.

There's a handy little freeware program called "Mactracker" for both Mac and Windows that contains specifications for every Macintosh that Apple has ever made. Using that program, I found the following differences between the previous iMac and the recently released iMac.
  • - OLD: Uses Intel's T7400 (2.16 GHz) or T7600 (2.33 GHz) "Merom" CPU. NEW: Uses Intel's T7300 (2.0 GHz) or T7700 (2.4 GHz) "Merom" CPU.
    - OLD: Bus speed 667 MHz, NEW: Bus speed 800 MHz.
    - OLD: 250 GB hard drive (500 GB optional), NEW: 250 GB hard drive (320 GB and 500 GB optional).
    - OLD: SuperDrive supports up to 2.4x DVD+R DL disks, NEW: SuperDrive supports up to 4x DVD+R DL disks.
    - OLD: 22 pounds (US), NEW: 20 pounds (US).
    - OLD: Maximum RAM 3.0 GB (logic board only recognized 3 GB even if 2, 2 GB sticks are installed), NEW: Maximum RAM 4.0 GB (logic board now recognizes all 4 GB if 2, 2 GB sticks are installed).
    - OLD: Graphics card: ATI Radeon X1600 with 128 or 256 MB GDDR3 RAM on PCI Express bus, NEW: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT (128 MB GDDR3 RAM) or Radeon HD 2600 Pro (256 MB GDDR3 RAM) on 16-lane PCI Express bus.
    - OLD: SATA bus 1.5 Gbps, NEW: 3.0 Gbps
    - OLD: 2 FireWire 400 ports supporting up to 8 watts total power, NEW: 1 FireWire 400, 1 FireWire 800 port with 7 watts of power for each.
One thing to note is that the new 20-inch iMac uses a somewhat inferior LCD panel which only supports 18-bit color (the OS dithers the 32-bit color down to 18-bits for the LCD). Apple does not publish this information, but electronics experts who have disassembled the new iMac claim this is the case. This won't be noticeable unless you work with graphics or video production. The 24-inch iMac does not have this problem.
Rodan

New glossy screen seems OK

Post by Rodan »

I just got the new iMac last week to replace my old original flat screen iMac. Was also worried about the glossy screen because in the stores I had not liked them as well. However, in my home, I have to say after one week, I had completely forgotten about the glossy vs. matte issue.

One other thing. I know the reviews of the new keyboard have been mixed. Personnally, I love the feel of the new keyboard. To me it is the best keyboard I have ever used. If you get the chance, Eric, try it out. It might make all the differnce to you, one way or the other.

-Rodan
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

I'm going to have to agree with Rodan on the keyboard. I have a Mac Pro but bought the new Apple USB keyboard after trying a friend's out and really do like it.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Hey, thanks, guys. I'm doing the eBay thing right now partly because Canadian prices haven't adjusted yet. Gettin' closer though.