new macbook air

Post by cuborg »

how do you like new mac?

new fantom will be that thin..
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: new macbook air

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, this new MacBook Air is definitely the best laptop the world has ever seen. Apple is now 10 years ahead pretty much everyone, this one is a simply brilliant piece of engineering.

I am really considering getting one, but perhaps the next model as I have some other serious investments planned for this year.

P.S. I wish Roland release new FABTON-R (R for rubber)...

aron

Post by aron »

No user replaceable battery.
Costs too much.
Hard drive too small.
No upgradeable memory.
Footprint same or slightly bigger than Macbook.
Slower than Macbook has arguably less features for more money.
I bet it gets damaged easily (based on past experience with Powerbooks)

Finally, "hey, check out my CD (or DVD)" ....

uh.........
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

In general, I agree with aron with 2 exceptions. 1) Apple did address the CD/DVD issue to an extent with the network-based disc sharing (from either a Windows PC or a Mac). Granted, not the same exactly, but it does keep the form factor of the MB Air thin. 2) I tend to doubt it gets dinged quite as much as the PowerBooks did simply because I've seen/used the latest MacBook Pros and Apple has improved the durability of the aluminum body over the PowerBook body of the past (still not undingable, but somewhat better).

I think it's a niche market. Check out the demographics on who buys ultra-compact PCs. They're very popular in Japan. I wouldn't get a MacBook Air, but it's 2 lbs lighter than the MacBook, a lot thinner, and has a back-light keyboard and multi-touch track pad. It'd probably be ideal for frequent business travelers who use their laptop almost exclusively for presentations, editing word/excel documents, and internet activities. Video and audio editors would probably find it under powered and low on storage space.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Thread moved to "Computers and Software."
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Artemio:

FABTON -R is tough to play. Kill fingers!!!

And MacBook Air? Guiness draft will destroy any hope of making it out of pub without serious problems, like dead computer...

- Sammy