Mac Pro -- now with 8 (yes, EIGHT) cores... standard!

Forum for Apple Mac computers
SammyJames

Mac Pro -- now with 8 (yes, EIGHT) cores... standard!

Post by SammyJames »

Yup. You read that correctly. Now every Mac Pro ships with 8 cores standard. The base system comes with, if I remember right, two 2.66 GHz Intel Core Quads. You can upgrade to two 3.2 GHz Core Quads, giving you unimaginable speed and power.

At this rate, I may just dump the idea of getting that Receptor, and just buy a Mac Pro.

- Sammy
nsheldon

Re: Mac Pro -- now with 8 (yes, EIGHT) cores... standard!

Post by nsheldon »

Indeed correct. They're actually Intel 4-core Xeon processors rather than "Core Quad" chips. You can also build-to-order a single 4-core Mac Pro if you don't need the standard 8-core configuration. They also come with 2 GB of RAM standard now too. I have the previous generation 3.0 GHz 8-core Mac Pro and I can tell you, it's quite fast. Benchmarks rank the new 2.67 GHz 8-core Mac Pro ever-so-slightly faster (due to memory bus speed increases and optimizations) than my 3.0 GHz 8-core system.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Nathan:

Do you use a lot of VSTi plug-ins? I'm wondering whether I should just get the Mac Pro and be done with it. I don't want to buy that Receptor thing if I don't have to. It just seems somewhat limiting, more so than having an infinitely upgrade-able machine like the Mac.

- Sammy
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi Sammy.

No, I don't use any VSTi plug-ins, though I do use a fair amount of Audio Units and Logic Pro 8 specific effects. I haven't really put my Mac Pro through its paces as far as audio processing goes since most of my compositions don't have more than 8 stereo audio tracks, and most of them just use a channel EQ and compressor as well as some convolution reverbs and mastering effects (and spectrum analyzers) on the main output track for bouncing to disk. I have one song that uses all software sample-based instruments (6 tracks) with effects. I've never seen the CPU go over 20 percent during all of this though

Though it's something you really need to decide for yourself, I'd say the Receptor is a good idea for people with existing setups in which they have significant investments in both hardware and software but who are running out of CPU power for modern VST plug-ins. I think for a medium to moderate size studio, the 8 core Mac Pro is going to provide all the CPU power you'll need for a while (assuming you have plenty of RAM and fast hard drives).
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Nathan --

I might buy the Mac Pro first, to see if it works on its own. If I need more horsepower, then I can always get the Receptor later. I would tend to think that an eight-core 2.66 GHz computer with four Gigs of 800 MHz RAM would do the trick, but on the other hand, I thought that my 2.33 GHz dual-core MacBook Pro with 2 Gigs of 667 RAM would do the same thing.

It didn't.

- Sammy
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi Sammy.

Yes, the Mac Pro should do quite well for most production needs. One specification of your MacBook Pro that may have contributed to the lower than expected performance could have been your hard drive. A faster hard drive makes a lot of difference when loading files and samples (as well as virtual memory performance when needed). 2 GB of RAM may have also been somewhat limiting if you did a lot of virtual synth work along with lots of audio tracks. The DAW software itself may also be a contributing factor if it wasn't optimized for multi-processor systems like your MacBook Pro (or the Mac Pro for that matter). Though I doubt it to be the case, if your DAW software were an older version, it may not yet be a Universal Binary application. You can tell by selecting the application icon and choosing "Get Info" from the File menu in the Finder. It'll say if it's a Universal, PowerPC, or Intel application. Universal or Intel is what you're looking for. If it says PowerPC, it'll be running under emulation which would be very detrimental to performance.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Nathan:

That is possible -- I'll check and let you know.

I'm running Cubase 4. It should be Universal Binary, although I don't righty know. I do know that I have downloaded the most recent update. So...

The hard drive might be a problem. I can always look into a faster FireWire drive or a 7200 RPM internal -- whichever makes more sense, and whichever is even available.

The memory could be a factor, and I could get the third Gig if I have the spare cash.

I like the thought of getting the Pro no matter what. But you bring up some good points.

Thank you for your help.

- Sammy
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi again Sammy.

According to Steinberg's web site, Cubase 4 is a Universal Binary application, so that shouldn't be an issue. As for the hard drive, though you can find 7200 RPM drives for laptops, the hard drive in the MacBook Pro is not a user serviceable part. You would have to have an Apple service tech do the work for you to avoid voiding the waranty. You could get an external FireWire or USB 2.0 drive though. I'd recommend a FireWire drive myself. A RAM upgrade couldn't hurt either.

I felt the same way about getting a Mac Pro for music in my little home studio room.

Regards,
Nathan