CAN you HELP me out?

Forum for Apple Mac computers
g-bomb

CAN you HELP me out?

Post by g-bomb »

I have a iMAc w garage band, a Pc with Sonar LE. I also have two technics various mixers, AKG condenser microphone, roland BR-1600 track recorder, roland sp 555 sampler, and a Korg ElecTribe EM-1 that I want to link together.

I need help understanding this MIDi note mapping, and how I can hook together my machines midi and then into my mac into my iMac.

I want to control the sp 555 and korg thru midi capabilities and know what type of audio interface I may need to get.

I don't plan on keeping the BR-1600 for long.

I want to get the best recording from my machines, vocals, and turntables without so much confusion on how i should hook them together.

Please help me.
SammyJames

Re: CAN you HELP me out?

Post by SammyJames »

IT depends. Do you need just a MIDI patchbay, or do you need an audio/MIDI interface? It sounds like you need the latter. I would check out the MOTU Traveler and UltraLite. You can also check out the Edirol UA-25.

- Sammy
Jimmy_smith

Post by Jimmy_smith »

Sorry,
But I can't help i have no idea about that.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I suggest that you do not try to link all the units together - what for? It will be unnecessarily overwhelming even for an experience user.

Get a mid-range audio/MIDI interface (FireWire much preferred) and record parts and beats into GarageBand as you need them. It will allow you to concentrate on each piece of equipment you have, and learnt it faster. That's how I do it (iMac with Roland, Boss and Edirol gear here).
g-bomb

Thanks for your advice! Still struggling just a bit

Post by g-bomb »

So Artemiy

I do understand what you mean by recording it in parts. But now I just want to find the RIGHT firewire MIDI box for me. I currently have a Boss BR 1600 I do not use. I thought it would help in getting the machines hooked together but it is more for guitars and vocals apparently. Tough for me to grasp!

So does recording MIDI help with these machines because my tapco 1/4 interface blows in terms of sound quality. I used to make beats with my friend and he had a tascam firewire interface w a Mac and the quality of music was much more clear. Also the machines (KORG's) were hooked MIDI and sounded great while recording. Thats the sound I want to try and find again.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post...