Macbook vs. iMac

Forum for Apple Mac computers
smith570

Macbook vs. iMac

Post by smith570 »

For all you Mac users out there:

I'm considering getting a Mac, because frankly, I haven't been too impressed by the ease of use of some of the Windows DAWs. I'm new to the DAW and want something that will let me expand creatively, and programs like Sonar have been overwhelming. Everything I've watched/read/heard about Garageband and Logic is outstanding.

Recently I've come across a brand new previous-generation Macbook (non-aluminum) with 2.4ghz processors and 4 gigs of ram for $949- an awesome deal to be sure. But the 13" screen and slower hard drive (5400 RPM vs 7200 on the iMac) scare me.

How necessary do you find it to use a larger screen when sequencing in your DAW, and is a 5400 RPM hard drive going to limit me much?
Diametro

Re: Macbook vs. iMac

Post by Diametro »

I have a 17" MacBook Pro (Core2Duo) ... the screen is just about adequate ... I couldn't imagine working with much less ...

I also currently have a 5,400 rpm internal drive and I can record 8 tracks of simultaneous audio with no problem with my firewire MOTU 828 mkii ...
hrbrtsptl

Post by hrbrtsptl »

I stopped buying Macs, out of the 6 I've had 5 have broken (it took Apple an entire year to replace my Mac Pro).

Garageband is somewhat basic, and although I've not had a chance to give Logic a go, I've heard good things about it. That being said, you should stick with a Windows DAW for at least a few weeks. Of the ones I've used it's not taken me long to learn what's what.

Mind, I've got a widescreen 24" screen with my Windows rig, and it's pretty useful, so if you're set on buying a Mac I'd go with the iMac.
smith570

Post by smith570 »

Really appreciate the replies, guys. Thanks a ton.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

smith570:

I'd stay away from the first-generation plastic MacBook because of the screen size, it's really too small for a DAW. You'd need to get an additional display, which would add up to the same price you'd pay for an iMac. A 20" iMac is the optimal solution (I am pretty happy with my 17", but will to upgrade anyway), and it has more computing power than a MacBook.

You'll be very happy after the switch, feel reassured! You'll have much more time for making your ideas come true instead of thinking on how to make your computer actually work.

hrbrtsptl:

I can't imagine anyone who'd want to switch away from Macs, really. I can understand some issues with the hardware, even though Apple makes some of the most reliable stuff. However, the software is simply mega-miles away from everything else. It's almost like if it can read your mind... Windows is generally poorly designed and is very hard to use, it adds up a lot of routine work instead of taking it away (hey and that's what computers are meant for!).