LogicPro/MainStage - Is Computer Software the Future?

Forum for Apple Mac computers
ReplayKeys

LogicPro/MainStage - Is Computer Software the Future?

Post by ReplayKeys »

I know, please forgive the blasphemy. However, I have recently been introduced to the concept of Logic, especially the new sub-program MainStage for live performers (like me), as among other things a much easier and cheaper way to gig-travel, especially on airplanes, than lugging a Fantom X-7 around. I can't get a good bead on the sounds yet, not having the program, but I do like the concept of also being able to use MainStage to morph to Logic to create and edit songs - I find the Fantom X to be cumbersome at being able to create a song and then mixing it unless you're a MIDI instruction computer guru. I saw Logic's ability to emulate ProTools, and that all seemed to be such a seamless way to create patches and performances, then sequence them, then mix them all within the same software suite.

What am I missing? Again, don't kill me for the question - I have been a Fantom owner for many years now, but I am wondering the above, and whether the future is in fact via computer software, and whether expensive workstations are on their way out. Is there anyone out there who has experience with both kinds of media, and can give me a balanced viewpoint?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: LogicPro/MainStage - Is Computer Software the Future?

Post by Artemiy »

Topic moved to Computers and Software.

Regarding your question, indeed Logic Studio offers so much more possibilities than the Fantom-X that they're really hard to compare. However, the Fantom is an all-in-one machine which offers quick access to most things a musician needs, and it's very easy to set up your live set with it (at least I think so). The perfect setup is a combination of two, so you can do what you want anytime in the way that suits best.

I personally use the V-Synth and GarageBand with a few softsynths and effects as my base. I come up with sounds and loops on the V, because it's a "one whole" experience working with it, it takes you away. But then on the Mac I have all the speed and ease of Apple's wonderful interface to bring all the pieces into a composition, then spice it up with effect plug-ins that I have carefully selected and bought over several years.
da-man

Re: LogicPro/MainStage - Is Computer Software the Future?

Post by da-man »

Yes and no.

Of course no hardware can ever compare to the depth of software.

Hardware offers you all in one and no need to connect cables or start 2 machines etc....

It's kind of like x-box, playstation. These machines are dedicated game stations and are like music work stations in a way.
They can't compete with the depth, price and range of computer software but they are very easy to setup and network etc....

I used to use computer software exclusively but since I bought the X8 I love the fact that I press one power button and can record so quickly.

I think in the future there will still be both.

I still think having both is the best of both worlds.
ReplayKeys

Software - thanks

Post by ReplayKeys »

Thanks to both of you for your time. I did feel as if the "all-in-one" factor was great. Wish it could solve the airplane situation, though...How would you rate solely-software based sounds to Roland/Fantom and its competitors? I get the sense that the solely-software compares favorably, but the sounds are more "raw" and one must spend time developing them, whereas Roland/Fantom and its competitors' sounds are more "finished", making it easier for those of us who are less skilled (or time-challenged). For example, Roland has samples of Oberheim, Arp, and other vintage synths whereas Logic has by comparison a basic synth that can be tweaked in a thousand ways. Is that a fair statement?