One more question about midi and audio, nsheldon lol

Forum for Apple Mac computers
dalillama

One more question about midi and audio, nsheldon lol

Post by dalillama »

I was wondering if you could help me out with one more thing? I am trying to convert my midi tracks into audio. Right now i am recording the midi track, then adding an audio and setting the mixers ins to my inputs on my maudio and the outs are going to my monitors. I am then soloing each track and hitting the i button (not sure what that is), arming both and recording. So finally i have figured out how to get audio but is this the correct way to go about it?
nsheldon

Re: One more question about midi and audio, nsheldon lol

Post by nsheldon »

Hi again.

There are basically two ways to bounce a MIDI track to audio in Logic. Logic has a special software instrument called "External Instrument." When you select this instrument (from the Input pop-up menu in the track's channel strip), the External Instrument controls allow you to select your MIDI Destination (your Fantom, in this case) and the Audio Input that this external instrument is connected to (probably something like Input 1-2, or similar). The External Instrument acts like a software instrument in that you can edit recorded notes and MIDI CC messages. Just like a software instrument, when you bounce the mix to an audio file, it is recorded.

There's a catch though, you can only bounce in Realtime mode, not Offline, for rather obvious reasons (namely, your Fantom can't process MIDI and audio faster than realtime).

The second method is the method you're currently using. That is, to record a MIDI track first, then record a separate audio track containing the audio of the Fantom's MIDI performance. This works well, though somewhat cumbersome. It's the method I use. The main reason I do this is because it allows for Offline mix bouncing. This way I can bounce the mix to audio multiple times very quickly.

So it's really up to you in how you want to do this. Either way will work, but both ways have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

Regards,
Nathan
nsheldon

Re: One more question about midi and audio, nsheldon lol

Post by nsheldon »

Thread moved to Computers and Software.