Toshiba or MAC (ALUM)

Forum for Apple Mac computers
KRE8A

Toshiba or MAC (ALUM)

Post by KRE8A »

I'm really confused on this one guys, i own a Toshiba laptop that processes 1.86GHz Duo Core and 4GB memory. When i run Cubase and start playing around with it, the computer crashes sometimes, meaning the program shuts down for no apparent reason. It frustrates me when this happens because if i am editing a song or what ever and have not saved; " I lose everything ". I have been looking into Mac L/Top computers and i still am not so certain whether i need one for my application ( Cubase ). But then again/ i have heard word by mouth that it is industry standard for music and videos. So therefore, Mac must be powerful enough to withstand the work i do as a hobby. What would be the minimum specs required for music producing and videos. Also least expensive?
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Just found out that Cubase is not a Program; 'designed for Mac'
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Toshiba or MAC (ALUM)

Post by Artemiy »

KRE8A, yes, Mac is indeed considered a standard for music and video, but you need to clearly understand why it is so. In general, Macs follow a much different design paradigm, which starts with an idea that computers are made to serve people, not the other way around. They let you dive with your ideas into an environment that is very natural to use, very inspiring from day to day, and there are thousands of little details that you barely notice at first but they will save you tons of unnecessary work.

I can get into more details, if you want. But, in simple words, it is made with much more care, thought and attention in every step. And the result is that you just blend with your ideas and forget about the computer at all. I have been with Windows for 3 years, with Linux for 4 years and now after 3 years on a Mac I can say that those 3+4 years of my life were literally lost.

Some people really underestimate this, but after they use a Mac for a few weeks, they never want to go back. There are several folks here which we were able to talk into trying a Mac and they all are more than happy with their systems (perhaps some of them will jump in to confirm - Bruiser, bassman, Igglethorpe?).

As for Cubase, it is officially available for Mac OS X Leopard: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mu ... stem0.html

And it should read your projects, although you may need to convert to audio or replace the stuff that you made with 3rd party plug-ins that are not available for Mac OS X.
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

As prompted by Artemiy, I am jumping in...

My Testimonial:
I was a hard core PC person since the mid 1980's. Grew up on DOS, Window$ 1.X, 2.X, 3.X, '95, ME, and XP. Spent countless thousands of dollars on hardware, software and software updates, as I always "had" to have the latest and greatest stuff. A couple of months ago, I was in need of yet another round of hardware and software updates. Last year I had to flatten and reload my system 3 times due to corruption by Microsoft updates that were pushed to my machine. Enough was enough! I got an iMac instead. What a fantastic machine and operating system. I purchased Logic Express, Final Cut Express and Parallels for it. All very reasonably priced packages for Music, Video, and for running Window$ from OSX (if I ever need to). It has been a real pleasure using it all and I will probably never go back to a Window$ based PC again (unless Apple does something stupid to ruin it all).

Note: I had Cubase LE on the PC. I like Logic Express on the Mac better. Not that Cubase wasn't capable. Logic Express is just so.... Logical. I also had Adobe Premiere on the PC. Once again, Final Cut Express is more..... you guessed it.... Logical.
msam

Post by msam »

yeah...macs seems to better suit music production...
PC-windows based computers are getting better every year too...
if your going to use windows, i recommend that you buy a dedicated "music computer" from guys like B&H or Sweetwater, etc...those guys have custom built computers for your musical needs...
KRE8A

Imac

Post by KRE8A »

I have decided to look into buying an Imac. I am going out today to find out alittle bit more detail.

I've decided to stick with cubase and not go to Logic. Cubase is a very powerful galactic sequencer.

Artemiy_Thanks for filling me in for the right system requirements for Cubase.

_" The door has opened up more, for my music pathway "_
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Yeah. Go Mac and you'll never go back. I have Cubase, Traktion and Logic Pro on the Mac OSX side and run Windows on it as well. I use Sonar running on the windows side just because I have several bits of Roland hardware and I like the program, (Why don't they have an OEM version for OSX?). As a former Cubase/PC user I would suggest you try Logic Express at least. It is very cheap for what you get and it quite simply blows Cubase out of the water. I just keep Cubase for old projects now.
KRE8A

I keep getting steered away on what sequencer is best to us

Post by KRE8A »

# - If i go for Logic, Is this software similar for the set up as any other ordinary professional sequencer?

# - Will i have alot of difficulties learning the software, even if i already have a slight portion of knowledge with cubase?

# - If not ::: Which is the latest Logic program?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Logic is very, very easy to use. It's workflow is classic, but it's wrapped with very simple user interface in Apple style. Rest assured, you'll learn it very quickly. There is also GarageBand with every Mac that is a small and simple but powerful DAW that you can sketch your ideas with, and then you can open it in Logic Express or Logic Pro project.

The latest version for Express and Pro is 8. The package for Pro is called Logic Studio.
Know1

Pro tools

Post by Know1 »

GET PROTOOLS LE 8. AN MBOX MINI COSTS $300. IT COMES WITH THE PROGRAM.
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

Art is right on the money with this stuff. Funny thing, I bought into a Mac after having huge success with an iPod Shuffle of all things. I really liked how iTunes worked and organized my MP3 files (even behind the scenes regarding folder organization). I thought, if iTunes is anything like a Mac, maybe I should take a look. Bought a Mac soon after and all my hopes became a reality. I've only recently started diving into Logic Studio 8 and find it to be extremely easy to use. I've created many a podcast on it with no trouble whatsoever. Can't say enough good things about Logic 8, seriously.

Regarding other software, iPhoto is a great picture organization tool. iMovie is easy to work with my AVCHD video camera.

Extremely pleased with my Mac. I only use Windows for my job and the company I work for provides me a laptop for that. It is very satisfying at the end of the day to put the windows machine down and turn on my Mac.
Know1

After further review Windows still sucks!

Post by Know1 »

PCs have made significant progress in the past few years. I mean you can find a really nice one, but its not a Mac. The only way you can even attempt to make an argument on the PC side is if you're running a Linux OS. If you are good luck finding a professional quality audio program.

If there is a program you really like thats only available on Windows. MACS CAN RUN WINDOWS.... I might add it's a bit more stable on a Mac.

PEACE
simongbo

Post by simongbo »

F*** those spammers!!! - Artemiy
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Go MAC if you don't want to be farting around looking for/installing this driver, that driver, trying to get everything coordinated for making music. A few years ago, I had finally had it with Microshit computers and decided to move up to an iMac. I found a great deal on eBay. It wasn't long after setting this up in my studio that I had to ask myself - what the hell was I waiting for? It definitely is worth spending the extra bucks to work with a MAC. In fact, I've now supplemented my studio mobility with a sleek aluminum MACbook Pro. I've had zero issues - period - with any of my MACs.

My PCs, on the other hand, I am going to relegate to the dust heap. Trying to get everything to do what it is supposed to do in a PC is just a joke, especially with each OS update/change.

So, if you can afford it, go MAC. Better still, in a transition, get a Mac Mini and use your own keyboard, moused and display. Then you can decide to move up to an iMac or one of those powerful MacPro units.

Cheers,
Jim (EJ2)
I AM

Post by I AM »

"Go MAC if you don't want to be farting around looking for/installing this driver, that driver, trying to get everything coordinated for making music."

looks like close to be true.... what i've heard, macs have much better midi timing...