Latency issues using v-synth with logic pro

Forum for Apple Mac computers
lyzantheris

Latency issues using v-synth with logic pro

Post by lyzantheris »

I have my v-synth gt connected to my 4-core mac pro, which is outfitted with 8 GB of ram. It's connected by both usb and digital optical cables. If I change the output frequency on the v-synth to anything but 44.1khz (48khz or 96khz) and then try to record into logic pro via digital audio.. I get HUGE latency problems.. as in a couple seconds difference between when I hit the keys and hear the sound. Am I missing something here.. or is my new computer not capable of handling the v-synths audio???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(And I am very much a newb to the whole music production thing so I will apologize in advance for my obvious lack of knowledge:)
Blues4dog

Re: Latency issues using v-synth with logic pro

Post by Blues4dog »

Set Logic to record at the same frequency as the V-synth.

Just for your info, and in view of your claiming to be new at this, there is no real reason to record at a higher rate than 44.1. That is CD quality anyway. The higher rates will just use up more memory and if you burn your final masterpiece to disk it will still be 44.1. Even lower if you bounce it to mp3.
lyzantheris

Post by lyzantheris »

Thanks! I think I'll stick to 44.1 then. But I'm wondering.. why have 48 and 96 if they have to be downgraded? Is there a possible advantage?
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

48khz is a DVD standard. I believe 96khz is the hi-def blue ray standard, but I could be wrong. If you are creating music for those formats, it's best to use those settings for highest quality and to avoid the "pops" you sometimes get when mismatching.
Nik_

Post by Nik_ »

The bigger numbers exist because people can be persuaded to pay extra money for them.
Know1

Yes there is an advantage.

Post by Know1 »

There is an advantage. Higher sample rates do not exist to persuade people to make a purchase.
Record at a higher bit depth and sample rate whenever possible. Yes CDs are only 16 bit 44.1k. However bit depth and sample rate are important for creating a professional mix. A higher bit depth means you have more head room (more dB to work with). (of course when converting to a lower bit depth dither must be applied during the mix down process)
A higher sample rate means you have more samples per second. The difference between 96k and 44.1k is literally millions of samples per second. THIS IS IMPORTANT WHEN MAKING FADES OR USING VOLUME AUTOMATION.
If your using Logic perhaps 24 bit 48k might work the best. That doesn't mean have your V synth set to any thing higher than 44.1 (although it couldn't hurt). It means set your preferences in Logic to at least that.
Know1

Your Mac Pro is certainly enough!

Post by Know1 »

My first question is what interface are you using to record into logic. It could be your interface. If your not using an interface and just using the macs sound card, well that might be it.
Something like a Mbox is going to work way better than the internal sound card.
Of course there are a few settings in logic that could create or fix that problem.
I would initially take a look at my I/O Buffer size which can be found under Logic Pro> Preferences> Audio under the core audio tab. If it's set to a higher number thats probably what it is.
Also if you are using a lot of plugins that could be creating some of the same issues.