Logic Pro 8 vs. Pro Tools 8

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Know1

Logic Pro 8 vs. Pro Tools 8

Post by Know1 »

I see a lot of people on here speaking very highly about Logic. Logic is a very nice program and it does come with a lot of goodies. However it has its problems. Probably it's most significant issue is the panning problem. THE PANS ON LOGIC DO NOT WORK LIKE PANS! They work like a balance. That means that you can not truly pan a stereo image hard L or R. It's more like the balance on your home stereo. That can make for a terrible mix. (hopefully apple fixes that when they come out with Logic 9)

There is also the issue with universal track mode, how retarded is that! (under Logic Pro> Preferences> Audio, devices tab, core audio tab) If you have universal track mode selected Logic will not allow you to have stereo sends. If you do not have universal track mode selected. When you create a new stereo audio track. You must go to the bottom of the left side of the screen ("The Inspector") and actually click the mono symbol on the input to make it stereo. If you do not do this, when you create another audio track you'll notice that it is outputting sound even though there is nothing on it. It simply becomes the the right side of that original so called stereo audio track. What the f*@% HOW LOGICAL IS THAT........

LOGIC HAS ALSO BEEN KNOWN TO CRASH!

PROTOOLS 8 just simply doesn't have those types of problems. It also comes with a lot of goodies. Which is an improvement from previous versions. You can find an Mbox mini for around $300 and when you buy an Mbox it comes with ProTools. Which means not only do you have ProTools you have an interface.

Finally! You can walk into 100 studios and damn near everyone of them is going to have ProTools. You'll probably only find a few that uses Logic and they probably use ProTools as well.
Blues4dog

Re: Logic Pro 8 vs. Pro Tools 8

Post by Blues4dog »

You're right. After all Pro Tools is marketed as the 'Industry Standard' and as such is used by most professional studio's in the industry. It is regarded by most as the best audio production software available. Now all it needs is the equivalent to Logic's awesome soft synths and sampler, compatibility with the thousands of other audio/midi hardware devices that are not made by Digidesign, a live performance version to rival Main Stage, an inspirational tool like the apple loops browser for composer/singer/songwriter types and a price that doesn't require the mortgage of your first born child.
Unfortunately all of the missing bits in Pro Tools are the main functions I need in a DAW. Guess it doesn't suit everybody.
Do you work for the company?
Know1

Just Stating facts.

Post by Know1 »

Like I said Logic is a good program. I own logic. I also own Protools.
NO I DON'T WORK FOR DIGIDESIGN!!!

Protools 8 comes with just as many soft synths as Logic if not more! The XPAND2 has a plethora of soft synths. You can even stack up to 4 synths on it. Very very easy.

OK it doesn't have a loops browser I'll give you that, but it does comes with 8GB of loops and they are all well organized.

As far as Logic having a so called sampler, I'm sure there are a few people that would consider the ESX24 a sampler. I don't, but I'll be rockin hardware till I die.

You can use Audio and MIDI devices that were not developed by Digidesign with Protool. If you can't figure it out I'd be happy to try and help. It's really just simple signal flow.

Digidesign did blatantly steal several ideas from Logic and made them a part of Protools 8. Beyond that what can I say. I could go on for days about what Protools has or doesn't have. Or what Logic has or doesn't have. I'm not going to though.

My last word on the subject is Protools is not going to cost you a mortgage payment. Last time I checked $300 is less than what Logic Studio cost and I believe it's less than Logic pro as well. Beyond that you get the interface, it has preamps on it. If you buy Logic you have to buy more gear just to record into it.

I'm sorry if I offended you I was just trying to help those who are newer to the software world......Do you work for apple?

PEACE
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Wow........sorry. Guess I just wanted to fly the flag for Logic a little bit as your post seemed to read more like 'Why Pro Tools is way better than that Logic rubbish.' You have my humble apology. I will quietly return to my corner.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

One of the reasons I boycott ProTools is the fact they do not support normal AudioUnit plug-ins. So you can forget about pretty much all the low-cost yet innovative creations from the likes of Audio Damage, D16 group, etc., let alone my own AudioUnit plugins which do what I want. And Digidesign ignored my request to give me an SDK for RTAS... Apple is way more open than them, especially with giving every Mac owner GarageBand.
Know1

Not trynin to come off like that!

Post by Know1 »

B4D. Sorry Bro! You don't have anything to apologize for. Sometimes the way I write and the way I think are two different things.
I don't want to falsely represent myself or any software/ hardware thats available.
I do use both programs, I just prefer Protools. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everyone works the same.
I do believe you can run Logic inside of Protools using rewire. I have not personally done that but I've heard of people that have. (I can ask them if you'd like.)
MrDuke

Post by MrDuke »

I've always hated the "exclusivity", if you will, of ProTools. Dedicated hardware (not that there's anything wrong with that per se) and only-RTAS plug-ins etc.

When it comes to audio, PT is solid, and Logic...not so much so. As an all-round (MIDI) sequencer that also supports audio, Logic wins hands down. Even though it has its share of problems. Fiddling with MIDI tracks in PT is truly a painful experience.

The good thing about ProTools is, that you can pretty much always count on any professional studio having a copy, so moving studio session files from one place to another is a breeze.