Sound card for hardware via to Logic

Forum for Apple Mac computers
KRE8A

Sound card for hardware via to Logic

Post by KRE8A »

Hi Guys,

I'm having an issue with an audio interface.

I have four hardware synths (DAW) and m-audio fast track pro sound card. This audio box is not enough to hook all my DAW into, for synths to pass into Logic software. I've looked into the fast track ultra which has 8 hardware inputs. Does this mean that when i connect the 4 synths to the m-audio fast track ultra 8x8, do i have to disconnect all the cables that are going into my 8 ch mixer and reconnect to the sound card or is there another way

I'm very curious about this because i havn't experienced this level yet and also not sure which way to go about.

PS - I have not purchased the fast track ultra because i am not completely sure whether this will be the right item.
SammyJames

Re: Sound card for hardware via to Logic

Post by SammyJames »

KRE8A:

You stated that you want to get four synths recorded into Logic. You also stated that each unit has a stereo pair output. You have intimated that you want to record all synths at the same time, having each on its own stereo set of tracks in Logic, and then presumably editing the results afterwards.

In order to do this, yes, you will have to run each pair of cables into its own interface stereo channel. If your mixer has stereo outs per-channel, then you would just need to provide eight (8) 1/4" cables, and connect their respective mixer outs to the corresponding interface ins.

If your mixer only has a stereo out, and if it doesn't have four buss outs, then yes -- in order to do what you want to do, you will have to disconnect the four synths from your mixer, and reconnect them to the interface.

It is instructive to note, however, that this isn't a bad thing. And the way that the M-Audio interface of which you wrote does work the way that you suggested. Assuming that you have a solid music computer, and assuming that you follow the instructions for setting up the M-Audio, there is no good reason why it shouldn't work as you described.

Sammy
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

* SammyJames *

I own the MG8/2fx 8ch mixer, limiting me from connecting the cables from the mixer, parallel to audio box. I'll have to connect in series, from synths to audio box; eventually when i purchase 1 down the track.

thanks for detailing answer, specifically. You've given me a good understanding.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

A couple of other notes:

1. The only good reason to use a mixer with a stereo out only is if it gives you a particular sound that you like. Some mixers add extra oomph or warmth to what you run through it. So if you like what your mixer does to the sound, then you can use it for at least one of your synths.

2. USB 3.0 will be backwards-compatible with USB 2.0. I don't know yet whether the increased bandwidth will let you take advantage of it if you are using a 2.0 device, but it's worth noting that companies will be releasing new products that will take advantage of the new 5 G/bit insantiy. So, you might want to hold off on buying anything until maybe after summer NAMM. (Or whenever they start to sell said 3.0 gear.)

USB 3.0 is purportedly sick insane fast. Like crazy fast. I'm looking forward to it.

- Sammy

(Edited 5.0 G/bit to 5 G/bit -- it's too confusing having all of these x.0 numbers floating around... but USB 3.0 is 5 GIGAbits fast. Which is close to twice as fast as the current fastest buss on the planet -- which is SATA 3.0 (3 G/bits per second). Both PCI and SATA will get OWNED by USB 3.0.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

G'day Sammy

I have made different decisions a while back, as how i will achieve audio cross feed. I was thinking, well; i looked into the product, "Behringer PX3000 48 point patch bay" for cross feeding extra audio cables into the mixer. Yes, stereo L/R out is the way to go, and it won't matter about sound changes, as i can do edit rectification in logic. I thought this would be easier, as i don't really need an 8x8 interface, as i already own a Sound track - pro sound card, which therefore i can use a USB hub for two USB cables, going through sound card and patch bay, through to the computer. I'm still a bit indecisive on this though, as i was told that the patch bay is more for changing audio cables and connecting parallel to other external hardware devices or software programs, when experimenting or changing a set up.

I guess the only real issue is that i don't have sub groups on the mixer, meaning i will not be able to balance sound levels, for each bit of hardware. MISTAKE_ Not necessary, as I'll be using the sound card in conjunction with set. Of course i can go FIREWIRE 'respectively, but i don't have an affordable budget. Alternatively, i can disengage the external mixer outs to ins, to the patch bay, somehow; I'll have to work on that, as i don't know how I'm going to do it, with out disconnecting the cables all the time. Reason being, is so i can control DAW mixer.

Besides, i do think if there is an easier solution, it will not matter, as this connectivity box can come in handy one day.

As for now, i don't need it, as I'm circulating around my work differently, for the time.

cheers for your reply