logic or cubase

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Fopperr.X8

logic or cubase

Post by Fopperr.X8 »

Dear musician,

What is your opinion about Logic and Cubase? What is the best choice to buy?

I use it to edit midifiles and record it to a audiofile.

Now I am using cubase essential 4 and think Logic will work better for me.

Greets Foppe
Bruiser

Re: logic or cubase

Post by Bruiser »

Since you are considering Logic, I assume you have a Mac. I use Logic Express on my iMac. It is a very impressive package. I had used Cubase LE previously on a Window$ PC. Between the two, I have enjoyed using Logic much more. Editing midi files and recording to audio is no problem.
cminor

Post by cminor »

If you compare LE with Cubase 4, yes, Logic is a little better.
But even so, Logic doesn't use VST Instruments, and as much I love my Mac, the Cubase 4 (new is 5) has much more options then Logic, if you know how to work with it.
Does Logic have Studio Schemes?
Can you set an entire studio, thru Logic?
In Cubase you can route from Mics to Headphones, set sends for aux, external effects (control thru midi) and different headphone settings.
But as I said, the best thing is the VST interface.
To many Virtual Instruments does not support AU (logic) and are only VST and RTAS (protools).
Between the Logic Virtual instruments and ALL those vst outthere..? I choose VST and Cubase.
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

@Fopperr.X8

Both are good products and will do the job for you. My personal preference is Logic but ultimately the choice has to be yours. Check out as many reviews (Good and bad) of both that you can find.

@cminor

1. Yes (The Logic environment can create any studio scheme you can think of)
2. Yes (As above)
3. Yes (Logic can route/send anything to anywhere as long as you have the input/outputs. It can also create MIDI control for any MIDI controllable device. It can even process the audio output from your external MIDI synth/tone generator through the same channel strip allowing you to combine it with any of the audio plugins)
Logic will run VST's in a host application or 'wrapper'.
Logic Pro also includes 'Mainstage' which is specifically designed for using all of it's instruments and/or audio plugins in a live situation. (This is an absolute essential for me and no other application does this as far as I know.)
Logic can be operated with 'On Stage' which can select, open and close complete projects instantly via Program Change messages from a master keyboard. (Another 'live' essential for me.)

It really just comes down to what you need it to do and how comfortable you are working with the software.

B4D
cminor

Post by cminor »

wrapper is just emulation ?
my bad... didn't knew about wrapper.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

I will put my vote in for Logic (I am coming from Sonar land though- have touched Cubase a few times- it was alright- like Sonar).
The Logic package is a very complete one- I am loving all the included instruments and effects (even to the point that I regret buy Komplete 5). I am a newb to it so havne't dived into it too deply- Mainstage 2 is something that looks great for live use.