Apple updates the MacBook Pro line

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Artemiy
Site Admin

Apple updates the MacBook Pro line

Post by Artemiy »

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

These new machines are now powered by Intel's Core i5 and i7 processors, and have 8-10 hours of battery life. 4 GB standard RAM on all models. The trackpad now also supports inertial scrolling a-la iPhone.

My heart says I should get a 15.4" MBP instead of the 21.5" iMac... but my wallet just popped out of the pants and ran away!! :-o
I AM

Re: Apple updates the MacBook Pro line

Post by I AM »

Artemiy, believe me, tabletop computer is more handy for music production, the bigger display, more comfortable keyboard and mouse.... laptops is better only for live gigs... but yes, theese MBP rocks
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Quite frankly, after using my iPod touch for over a year, I found the mouse to be the worst part of the computer! The single pointer is overshadowed by multi-touch, in ease and speed of operation and in the fact that you can access multiple controls with up to 5 fingers. This makes it feel way more "real".

So in this respect the trackpad on MBP is not much better than the magic mouse on the iMac. So I don't know... I kind of need a portable machine to be able to work in different rooms in my house. So was thinking about MBP as my next machine. But then the iMac gives more power and screen real estate, while costing less...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

**iMac rockz !!!!**

Why not remote control your iMac from a cheaper laptop?
Just an idea... ;-)
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Art, I have both- the new 21.5" iMac and the 2009 15" MBP. Yes, they both are great- and the new i5 will be so much faster.
The displays on both are fantastic
The MBP's get hot running Logic though- very hot on the bottom- so doing any lap producing will get uncomfortable quick.
The iMac is actually very portable- just a screen- so I could see it moving around.
I think you can't go wrong with either- and heck- for the price- you could probably get the iMac and an iPad for the price of the MBP- plus you get some more USB ports- if that is worth it.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

javaj, I would be getting the iMac with a discrete video card so that makes it a $250 difference to the entry-level MBP. And damn it yes both are too tempting! I will need an external monitor for MBP to match the screen on the iMac, so I guess cash will decide then. I think for me personally, an iPad would be better as a portable machine since I won't be carrying a $2000 laptop with me.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Is the MacBook Pro really worth the price?

I ask this taking into consideration that there are some PC based laptop computers out there that are customized for making music. From what I have read doing the research, it seems the MBP is head and shoulders above the rest. That seems to be the consensus.

BTW it would have to be the 15". The 13" is just too small imho.

What do you think?

Alternatives:
HP Envy
Rain Recording Livebook
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

From what I have read doing the research, it seems the MBP is head and shoulders above the rest. That seems to be the consensus.

Can sign every word you wrote. I have been with my Mac for over 4 years and there is no comparison to Windows computers. Macs are on another planet. Such ease of use, out of the box readiness for professional audio production, is at least 10 years ahead on the Mac.

Speaking of the screen, the 13,3" is indeed a bit small for DAW interfaces, but you can connect an external monitor. If you need an all-in-one solution, though, I'd recommend the 15,4" of course. You should also look at the iMac if portability is not very important.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Portability is the most important factor next to functionality. I feel like it would be much easier to complete projects if you're able to move around. Especially when collaborating with other artists. And its good having the ability to work wherever inspiration happens.

Also I really want to get more into logic. I've predominantly used Pro Tools in the past. Also Digital Performer. But I hear GarageBand is not that bad either.
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

i think i did something bad guys just ordered one of these things :)