Mainly for music and movies - MBPro 2.4 or 2.66 Ghz?

Forum for Apple Mac computers
sishan

Mainly for music and movies - MBPro 2.4 or 2.66 Ghz?

Post by sishan »

Hi,
I'm planning to buy my first Mac. Based on my budget, I have decided on the 13" Macbook pro and I will mainly use it for Garageband and iMovie/iDVD.

I read that GB is a processor-hungry application and so was wondering is the core2duo 2.4Ghz model sufficient or having a 2.66Ghz will help running GB activities smoother. I guess the only difference in these two models are the processor speed and HDD size (250 versus 320Gb). Does the huge price difference justify for these two items?

I really don't want to spend unnecessarily as I will have to buy an audio interface later since this MCBPro has only one combo audio in/out.

Please advise..
Many thanks
Shantanu
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Mainly for music and movies - MBPro 2.4 or 2.66 Ghz?

Post by Artemiy »

It's very simple math: you get 10% more performance for 25% more of the cost. Otherwise the machine is pretty much the same (same processor cache, same RAM).

The base MBP 13.3" model is terrific value and an amazing computer. It will take your creativity to another level, trust me! :-) More than enough for pretty serious projects in GB and iMovie (I still run them fine on a 1.83 GHz iMac).
sishan

Post by sishan »

Thanks Art for the quick reply!

I will go for the 2.4Ghz model then.

Also, to let you know, I saw your video in FB on Nanostudio and Adobe Idea .... started using them on my iPad and love it.

Similar to your kids, my 5yr old does not go to sleep without a drawing session using Idea !! and guess what, he started prefering writing and drawing on iPad instead of crayons and papers and he says writing on paper is more "troublesome" :-(

Look fwd to hook up my Fantom X8 with MBPro.

Regards,
Kristijan

Post by Kristijan »

Shantanu,

with MBP 2.4GHz your satisfaction is guaranteed.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

sishan, my pleasure! You will enjoy this machine a lot. And save those dollars for some Mac and iPad software - there is some amazing stuff these days which isn't that expensive (i.e. $5-15 apps that warp your mind).