Which decent audio interface for MBP

Forum for Apple Mac computers
sishan

Which decent audio interface for MBP

Post by sishan »

Hi,
within a budget of $100-150, which USB/Firewire audio interface do you guys suggest with MBPro for purely home recording?

Total of 5-6 INs are sufficient for me with 2 pairs of L-R balanced inputs for two keyboards and one/two additional ones for mic or any other accoustic instrument should be enough.

Thanks,
Shantanu
PauloF

Re: Which decent audio interface for MBP

Post by PauloF »

In that price range... Really don't know, as I think multi input interfaces have a higher cost, but worth mentioning the Cakewalk (originally edirol) FA-66
Take a look to the specs
Cheers
Paulo
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

For consumer interfaces $100 per ADC channel is a more reasonable price to expect and it quickly goes up from there.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

I was looking for something similar and finally ended up getting a mixer, a Mackie ProFX8. It is more than you have budgeted, but may be the only way you can get all the inputs you are looking for. Some of the reviews on the web indicate USB noise issues with this mixer, but I have not noticed any. I think some of the noise may be due to ground loops in a particular set up. I'm not recommending this particular mixer, but it sure is nice to hook two keyboards and an iPad up to my computer with it. I didn't realize how nice it would be to reach to one place to adjust levels.

-Rodan
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

You're right Rodan; there is no such thing as USB noise, or firewire noise, for that matter. That's all 1's and 0's. Of course, ground loops are a different story all together and can almost be expected with mfg standards today.

On the mixer note, the only/main thing I have a problem with is if your recording chain goes through it. IMO convenience isn't worth the compromise; obviously not an issue if we're talking about a Manley. ;-)
sishan

Post by sishan »

thanks guys...

I also had a look at gears websites and looks like I have to raise my budget to get these many channels.

I also have Mackie VLZ 8 channel in mind but was thinking something more compact, handy and movable.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

More handy and compact than a 802 VLZ-3 ???
that should be difficult to find one with such performance and features with that size.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

The VLZ-3 looks like a good choice. Somewhat better electrical specs than the ProFX and two pounds lighter.
sishan

Post by sishan »

thanks Rodan, PauloF

I can go for 802 VLZ then...but one thing. VLZ models don't have firewire and USB connectivity and they connect with PC soundcard by standard 1/4" or 1/8" audio cables. My Windows desktop has a Soundblaster Fatality XPro card which I think has 1/8" L-R inputs but I really want to do audio recording on my MBPro which has only one 1/8" IN + USB + firewire.

So, what are my options here with both the PCs? I think I will need an audio interface in between VLX and PC (either Windows or Mac), won't I?

thanks
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Oops. I didn't notice that. If it were me, I wouldn't get a mixer without a digital computer interface (USB or fire-wire). Of course it depends upon what you want to do. But if you are spending the money for a mixer, might as well get the ADC and digital interface included. It is just less hardware and seems like it would have to be less expensive. Since you were originally looking for a computer interface, I don't want to lead you astray. ;-)
sishan

Post by sishan »