I need more power

Forum for Apple Mac computers
nickoli

I need more power

Post by nickoli »

ok, so i have an almost brand new MacBook Pro, it has the i7, a 7200 rpm hard drive and 4GB of ram...

now, recently working with garageband i keep getting messages saying too many simultaneous real tracks, and then i had iMovie open too and ended up freezing the whole laptop.

i was wondering if anyone knew if this could just be fixed by adding more ram or maybe an external solid state hard drive?

any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Nick
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: I need more power

Post by Artemiy »

How many tracks did you have and how many effects plugins did you use?

I have a relatively old iMac which is 1.83 GHz dual core with 2 GB RAM. With GarageBand, I can run about 30 audio and instrument tracks with about 40-50 effect plugins.
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

well i have 23 tracks and i would say between 60-70 plugins, and only one track is midi
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

What is your processor? I guess it's 2.6 or something. If so, that depends on which plugins you have. If there are many effects like CPU-hungry reverbs or spectral processors, maybe they're consuming too much. Try freezing (locking) 5-10 tracks, you can unlock them for editing anytime.
nickoli

Post by nickoli »

Yes it is the 2.6, anyways i think your right with freezing the tracks, i had done this but went back and wanted to change a lot so i took them all off. Probably the problem.

Thank you a lot,

Nick