My wife was shopping for shoes!!!!

Forum for Apple Mac computers
piaknowguy

My wife was shopping for shoes!!!!

Post by piaknowguy »

45 minutes at 'Best Buy' playing around with GarageBand! Every note was typed as I had to use the computer keyboard to enter them. I happened to have a USB key in my pocket to save the song.

http://www.piaknow.com/forum%20pics/www.piaknow.com.mp3

Hope you enjoy it!
PiaKnowGuy
Please feel free to listen to Pirates
PiaKnow
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: My wife was shopping for shoes!!!!

Post by Artemiy »

This one is really awesome for such a quick work! I am quite amazed actually, you have a real talent for "typing in" music, seriously, you must have very good knowledge and hearing.

Did you like the Mac and also GB this time around?
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey! Thanks for the listen, Artemiy. I do teach music composition for a living, so writing comes very easily to me.
I am gaining a greater appreciation for the Mac. I must admit that it still troubles me when I experience a great deal of lag while trying to enter notes into Garageband from a comp. keyboard. The software does make it very easy to get professional sounding results in a very short period of time, however!

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
PiaKnow
sishan

Post by sishan »

oh Allan, that's lovely...did you also type in those pitch and mod bends? Fantastic .... I found it really difficult on the computer keys so I quickly connected my FanX to the Mac. However this feature is really handy if you are on the move or don't have your keyboard connected.

Anyway, really nice one in such a quick span and in a noisy environment inside Best Buy.

.... and yes, after reading the subject of your post, I first thought that, what I would see in the message was "... but bought a Mac instead" .... :-)

Shantanu
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

piaknowguy, there is a lag in GarageBand when you use the regular keyboard because the system gives lesser priority to non-music hardware peripherals. GarageBand doesn't have that kind of a lag if you use a normal MIDI keyboard, even with an internal audio interface. With my Fantom-G as both audio and MIDI interface, the response time is pretty much the same as of the Fantom-G's sound engine itself.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Nice tune P
With my Fantom-G as both audio and MIDI interface, the response time is pretty much the same as of the Fantom-G's sound engine itself.

That's a great info for me Art ;-)
sishan

Post by sishan »

I agree with Art regarding the latency.... I have Fantom X8 and GB on my MacBook.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

@Artemiy.

To be fair, I have tried GB with a MIDI keyboard and it worked flawlessly. One always hopes that, because 'Music Typing' is presented as an alternative, that it would respond the same way. I do understand what you are saying. Thanks, again.
...did you also type in those pitch and mod bends?

@Sishan.

Thanks for the listen. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! The pitch-bend and modulation were actually accomplished using the numerical keys. The [2] key was my pitch-bend and the [3] to [7] keys allowed me to introduce varying degrees of modulation to the sound.

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
PiaKnow