Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Forum for Apple Mac computers

Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Beantown » 19:04, 12 December 2010

So I've been doing some research and shopping around for a new laptop computer. Its been a few months since I started to give it serious consideration. I have decided to go with the 15" Macbook Pro. However being that its so late in the year, I'm wondering if it would be wise to buy now, or wait until the next system update. Which would probably be sometime early spring 2011. Surely there will be some improvements to the Mac, as Apple has been very consistant with upgrading their products year in and year out. This past october, Apple annouced the new Macbook Air, with Blu-Ray technology, a higher resolution display and some other system upgrades. So I'm almost certain the next generation Macbook Pro will also include blu-ray and some other improvements as well.

With that said, do you think it would be wise to make this investment Now? Or wait a little while longer for the new and improved model which will in some ways make the current system obselete?

Please, share your thoughts...
Beantown
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 05:43, 15 September 2007


Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby PauloF » 20:12, 12 December 2010

**If** a new Mac book Pro is coming, surely it wouldn't make the actual obsolete just like that....
Maybe in a few items, like the ones you describe, but is that going to prevent you from using it ?
And I'm sure the prices will be higher than the actual ones too.

Don't forget that the Mac Pros had their Processors recently upgraded from Core Duo to i5 and i7.

I really don't know...but if you need it now...just buy the actual version, the model that best suits you.

If you can wait until the next version comes to life, then wait... but don't forget that will always happen, that is, after buying it next year or so, a new version would always come to replace that one...

My advice is... do not lose time waiting for the best super duper gadget and features that would eventually be available in the next model. If you need it now, take the actual one, as the Future is NOW!!!
User avatar
PauloF
 
Posts: 4079
Joined: 02:35, 16 January 2006
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Artemiy » 20:40, 12 December 2010

new Macbook Air, with Blu-Ray technology,


Air doesn't have an optical drive at all, what kind of Blu-Ray have you seen there? :-)

Also, Apple is very anti Blu-Ray actually. Apple customers are used to downloading stuff over the Internet, rent content on iTunes etc. Highly doubt their future MBPs will have it, and I am not really sure what this format is all about too, as I never use my CD/DVD drive.

Anyway, back to your original question - Apple can announce new laptops as soon as January and as late as March or April, so in the worst case I think you're 4 months away from the next generation of MBPs. I am also not sure how close or far they'll be in hardware design to the new MBAs. I think you will still go for a hard drive, not a flash drive, as 128 GB is not much for musical projects and more is too expensive for now. The display, keyboard and trackpad should stay pretty much the same.

So you should decide if 4 months is critical to you. My recommendation: have a look at Christmas discounts, chances you can find an MBP for a good discount.

I bought my iPad in October, although the next generation could be released in February or March, maybe earlier. But I've decided not to wait, as life goes by too quickly! My iPad really helped me push a lot of projects already in the two months that it's here, so I am really happy I didn't wait.
User avatar
Artemiy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19754
Joined: 13:00, 17 April 2003
Location: Ukraine

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Artemiy » 20:41, 12 December 2010

PauloF said it very well too!
User avatar
Artemiy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19754
Joined: 13:00, 17 April 2003
Location: Ukraine

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Beantown » 22:06, 12 December 2010

Those are some very good points, both Artemiy and PauloF. And I must've gotten my lines crossed with the blu-ray comment. Doing my comparisons, I came across a couple PC laptops which seem to copy the Macbook Pro. ie. HP Envy, and the latest Sony Vaio. Both of which have blu-ray. The HP also has the Intel i7 processer, and the 17 inch models are cheaper than the 15" MBP with Intel i5. Despite all that, I'm still going with a MAC.

I raised this question just because of the timing of my purchase. Since it is the end of the year and we are so close to the next update. After making such a big investment, you'd just hate to have that feeling like you should've waited a little bit for the latest version.
Beantown
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 05:43, 15 September 2007

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Artemiy » 22:19, 12 December 2010

I won't say you should really rush out and buy, perhaps waiting 2-3 months won't be an issue. Maybe if they release new ones in early January (when they always announce something new), it's going to be just a month of wait.

Also, yes, you shouldn't really compare a Mac to a PC. They have totally different approaches to products. Mac is one device that is seamless in hardware and software integration, built by people who have passion is small details. PC laptops in some cases may match Mac in hardware quality, although usually not as sleek in design of all the tiny things. But software is actually what's worst about the PC. I am not even talking about stability or viruses. Microsoft really has no taste in the user interface design, they don't know what is true elegance and how to let the user melt with the machine through the interface.

Trust me, there is a big difference - and it won't uncover immediately. Rather, day by day you will be noticing thousands of little things that help you every step of the way.
User avatar
Artemiy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19754
Joined: 13:00, 17 April 2003
Location: Ukraine

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Kristijan » 22:39, 12 December 2010

Be happy and buy your new MBP tomorrow. :-)
User avatar
Kristijan
 
Posts: 190
Joined: 15:56, 20 December 2008

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Beantown » 23:02, 12 December 2010

Just to give a little background, I've been in a similar situation before. My first synth was the Fantom-S. I played the demo version in GC and knew right away that this was the way to go. So I ended up buying a brand new FS. This was around Nov or Dec 2003. A few months later Roland released the Fantom-X, w/ the Color Display, double wave ROM, double sampling RAM, polyphony etc etc. From time to time I would catch myself thinking if I had only waited.
Beantown
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 05:43, 15 September 2007

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Beantown » 23:17, 12 December 2010

Thanks Kristijan.

As they say "Patience is a Virtue". But I want it, and I think I want it NOW!
Beantown
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 05:43, 15 September 2007

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Artemiy » 23:25, 12 December 2010

Beantown, you seem to be in US right? If so it's easier for you, as this stuff gets immediately into retail after they announce it. In case of Europe, we have to wait usually about two months after you. So in your case, as I said, the wait should be not that long.

BTW I bought a Fantom-S on 25th December in 2003, and Roland Ukraine assured me there is nothing new coming out :-) I don't regret though, as the Fantom-X only started shipping here around May or June, so I had 6 months I would otherwise spend without that keyboard.
User avatar
Artemiy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19754
Joined: 13:00, 17 April 2003
Location: Ukraine

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Beantown » 23:58, 12 December 2010

Yezzir, I am in the US. But honestly, I really don't think I'd be able to wait that long for an update. Its been so much anticipation already. I just want to get my hands on the MBP and go to work.

Hindsight is 20/20. And although I would've had an FX6 as opposed an FS just by waiting a few months (which would have been great). I still don't regret my decision. The FS is an amazing machine, and I still use it to this day.

Thanks for all your words of wisdom.
Beantown
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 05:43, 15 September 2007

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Leh173 » 01:02, 13 December 2010

You could try here to get some insights into what may or may not be going on with MBP updates: http://www.macrumors.com/

My 2 cents: MacBook Pros have been pretty powerful for quite some time now (last 3 years) so I don't know if a new model would even be that far ahead of what is already on the market, so if you really need one now you will be happy with you purchase IMHO. I am still using my 2007 model MBP for all my music and home office and have no need to get a new model just yet. They last for years when you buy them they are so well made. They're all fairly future proof as they're all 64 bit these days (mine is).
Leh173
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 06:08, 8 August 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Artemiy » 08:22, 13 December 2010

Beantown, in this case, watch the holiday discounts. Chances you can get about $200 off the price, which is enough to get you an external hard drive or Logic Express package.
User avatar
Artemiy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19754
Joined: 13:00, 17 April 2003
Location: Ukraine

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Beantown » 21:29, 13 December 2010

Thanks for sharing that link Leh173!

The thing that is most appealing to me about the Macbook is the overall quality, stability and sheer power of the platform. On top of that they are good looking and fun to work with as well. The people at Apple really put alot of thought into their products. It seems I should be able to use the MBP for a number of years.

I will definitely keep an eye out for those holiday discounts. If I could save 200 bucks and put that towards Logic Express, or even an interface like Apogee Duet, that would be a steal.
Beantown
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 05:43, 15 September 2007

Re: Macbook Pro: Should I buy Now or Later?

Postby Leh173 » 23:55, 13 December 2010

Sounds like a good plan! Even if they do bring a new one out soon after I doubt you'll care that much, you'll be getting too much music done! Logic Express should be pretty powerful, especially if you want to do a lot with MIDI and audio. I use Logic Studio and love it for music (and I use Pro Tools every day at work). Good luck with it all!
Leh173
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 06:08, 8 August 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Next

Return to Mac

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest