MBP and Audio interface connection

Forum for Apple Mac computers
sishan

MBP and Audio interface connection

Post by sishan »

Hi guys,
I have a 13" MBP which has a single audio i/o. So I plan to buy a firewire audio interface (liked Presonus Firestudio mobile, http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=58). I would like to connect my Fantom X audio out to the analog in's of the FS Mobile, from FS Mobile firewire to MBP firewire and also Fantom x USB out directly to MBP USB for MIDI. Also, will use the FS Mobile main outs to my Edirol monitors and the headphone out for headphones.

1) Will this connection plan work?
2) I understand that I can not have both audio and MIDI out from Fantom at the same time. So what can I do best in order to tweak between them? I mean record one audio track from Fantom and then the next track using MIDI may be. Do I have to take out cables or switch some settings somewhere?
3) If anyone has used Presonus FSM, any comments on this product with MBP?
4) Any other audio interface suggestions within $400? I will need two keyboards to connect, one vocal and one for my guitarist friend to drop by at my place.

many thanks
Shantanu
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: MBP and Audio interface connection

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, it will work. You can surely get both MIDI and audio out of the X, if your DAW can record a MIDI and an audio track at the same. The only thing is, to get the audio out of the interface into the monitors, specify the interface as your global DAW output.
sishan

Post by sishan »

Thanks Artemiy. Good to know that. I hope using Garagebend should be fine with all these. What exactly is that Global output setting in GB?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yep, what's cool is that GB can indeed do it! I just tested it, simultaneously recording an instrument track with a USB MIDI keyboard and an audio track from the built-in microphone, worked as expected.

You just need to arm both tracks for recording (red switch under the track name), see the screenshot attached.

As of the global output, that's in Garageband -> Preferences -> Audio/MIDI menu.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (52.53 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
sishan

Post by sishan »

fantastic ... cheers!