LOGIC EXPRESS 9.1.3 AND ROLAND A-800 PRO CONTROLLER

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Lídio

LOGIC EXPRESS 9.1.3 AND ROLAND A-800 PRO CONTROLLER

Post by Lídio »

Please pardon my English.

I own three keyboards: CLAVINOVA CLP 230, JUNO STAGE, A-800 PRO. Using CLAVINOVA with LOGIC EXPRESS is good and easy, but we don't have enough commands. JUNO STAGE is better, more possibilities of CONTROL. With this two keyboards everything fine, the problem comes when I try to use A-800. I think is some confusion I am doing with settings, but I can't identify where. The problem has three parts, as follows:

1 - Installing the driver was easy, I did the prior settings quickly, exactly the way of the manual. The problem begins whe I start LOGIC EXPRESS, right in this moment, and some other moments too, a little window with this message appear to me:

Device "A - PRO"is assigned to MIDI Port "A-PRO 2" which is not present.
Please ensure that MIDI interfaces are connected and switched on. If this is the case, please check the MIDI port setting of device "A-PRO". If this is correct, click "Reset All MIDI Drivers" in Preferences>MIDI>General.

As far as I'm concerned everything is correct with my INTERFACE (FAST TRACK PRO), with the port settings (according to the manual), and when I click "Reset All MIDI Drivers" the only thing I receive is the same message again and again. The question is: what does this messege mean? What do I have to do with it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 - I installed the A-PRO CONTROL SURFACE PLUG-IN, available in Roland's site to controll LOGIC EXPRESS from A-800. Since I did that the fields MIDI IN and MIDI OUT start showing signals of MIDI messages oscilating between two or more numbers. I don't know what it is, I'm not sure but, I think the correct is the TRANSPORT BAR show signs only when I send this messages from or to the A-800, what is really not happening. The question is? Why these signs of midi messages oscilating in the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT display in the transport bar? Is it correct? What do I have to do with it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 - And the last but not least. I just can't control LOGIC EXPRESS from A-800 with the A-PRO CONTROL SURFACE PLUG-IN. The driver of A-800 is installed, the editor is istalled, both are working because even with the problems above I can control sounds with my own CTRL MAPS. The PLUGIN from ROLAND is there, but I just can't control LOGIC EXPRESS, except for the keys of the keyboard that work very well.

One more time I apologize for the big question. I don't know if someone have had some experience like mine, but every idea is welcome. Since this moment ahead I thank you very much.

Lídio
PauloF

Re: LOGIC EXPRESS 9.1.3 AND ROLAND A-800 PRO CONTROLLER

Post by PauloF »

I don't have much time to give you a very detailed answer at the moment (sorry for that), but when using the A-800 Pro with Logic, and assuming the plug-in is installed, the Light ACT should be lit on tha A-800 Pro. If it isn't, just press it and verify if the track parameters and transport controls are controlling Logic.
Lídio

Post by Lídio »

Hi, Paulo, I want to thank you for your answer.

I've tried the ACT light. There are some comunication between Logic and A-800. For exemple, if I put a track in Logics arrange's area with my mouse, A-800 says it in its display. Pitch bend, modulation wheel, aftertouch chanel, the key velocity thing, they are all working very well.

I'm gonna say something about my material: A-800 is connected by USB cable to the computer, the same with the FAST TRACK PRO, and I have CLAVINOVA connected too, but it is off. I'm trying the 4-8 control maps that seems to be the Logic control maps, all of them have the same effect with Logic. The eight pads play hight notes of the sound of the track, the play button and the others who should control the transport bar of Logic also are playing musical notes, very high ones. I've tryied as well to press B1, B2 and B3 (the initialize buttons), but it didn't work.

Please, if you have some extra time, and if it's not bottering you, help me with this. I'm reading the manual, but for me is too much generic, and I need a prior knowledge that I definitely don't have. I don't know exactly what is happening, maybe it has something to do with the "port advise" at the beginning. Well, I wanna thank you again and I'm waiting for more of your and another A-800 users tips.

Best regards.
Lídio

Post by Lídio »

Well,

What I have to say is that the Roland's support helped me to find an answer. We tested the controller with another computer and everything was fine. The main problem was about software. When I formatted my computer almost everything was solved. The only problem that still remain is the midi oscillations in MIDI OUT display when ACT is lit. Now I can control LOGIC, and there is no strange advise when I start it. About the detail of the oscillations, maybe is a problem of configuration in LOGIC, maybe is a problem of hardware in my computer, I still don't know.

I wrote this because if anyone in the world is in the same situation, who knows, these words could help in any way.

Best