Using V-synth as MIDI keyboard and External MIDI LOGIC

Forum for Apple Mac computers
synthetiquette

Using V-synth as MIDI keyboard and External MIDI LOGIC

Post by synthetiquette »

I've been trying to use my V-synth with logic 9 as both a MIDI keyboard to control soft synths and also to utilize the V-synths own sound via 16 part MIDI. I'm having some big problems. I'm wondering also if I'm properly understanding the usage of 16 part MIDI. Here's a simple example: I've recorded a MIDI loop into logic on channel #1 of my multi.instrument which is a bass patch from the V-synth. The V-synth plays this back no problem. I also want to record an atmospheric pad from the V on channel 2. What ends up happening is the V-synth will start playing the MIDI bass notes I've previously recorded on ch.1 while I'm trying to record onto channel 2, and instead of using the bass program that's selected in the channel 1 settings it plays the atmospheric pad selected in channel 2's program. Is what I want to do even possible or am thinking about this all wrong? If not, any ideas why this isn't working out?

Thanks for the help,

synthetiquette
Rodan

Re: Using V-synth as MIDI keyboard and External MIDI LOGIC

Post by Rodan »

Hi synthetiquette, welcome to the clan.

I think what you are trying to do may not be possible, or at least not easy. You are asking the V-Synth to be more than one instrument at the same time. The V-Synth has a limited number of tone generators and multiple generators may be needed for one patch. It is not like Logic which can be many instruments at the same time. The difference is that logic is running on a very fast computer that can make a lot more calculations/sec than the V-Synth.

If you want to use the V-Synth for two different instruments, the straight forward way is to record the audio out of the V-Synth to one Logic track and then record audio to a second track with the V-Synth set to the second instrument. Of course you loose the ability to edit MIDI tracks.
synthetiquette

Re: Using V-synth as MIDI keyboard and External MIDI LOGIC

Post by synthetiquette »

I see. Have you used an external tone generator that can send 16 channels? As far as I can tell from the user manual, this is supposed to be what it's capable of. Thanks for your suggestions, it's been a trip trying to work this out.

Cheers,

synthetiquette