Problem with MAC OSX Lion

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Floyd

Problem with MAC OSX Lion

Post by Floyd »

Hi everybody!!!! I'm a new member, and I found this forum very interesting!!!! Premising that I've been playing the Juno G for two years, I'm a complete beginner about MIDI "science" (let me call it so ;) ), and how to use the keyboard with a computer, so, please, be patient!!!!
My first question is: I've a MAC OSX Lion. As many of you should know, the Juno-G's editor doesn't work on it, so I've downloaded the driver for MAC from Roland's site, and followed the instruction about it.
At the end I was able to install the driver correctly, BUT, when I open the CD's software and try to install the English version, I cannot do it, and appears a massage that tells me "MAC doesn't support power pc applications", which is the same message that appeared before the driver installation.
Someone could tell me, step by step, how to resolve this problem?
thanks to those who will answer ;)
huggles

Re: Problem with MAC OSX Lion

Post by huggles »

Hey Floyd,

Great, you found the sub forum.

The roland page for Juno G can be found here:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... ductId=756#

From your post it seems you have already installed the Mac Os X 10.7 USB driver. At the link provided above you will find a Downloads tab. Towards the very bottom of the Downloads page you will find the Juno Editor Software for Mac. I would suggest you download and install this version of the editor software.

I had problems installing the version of editor that was shipped on cd with my Juno G also, and eventually downloaded the version provided at Roland.

hth
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Huggles, thank you for the answer.
I've reinstalled the driver for MAC (I found it in the same link you provided me) and then I've downloaded the software from the Roland site as you said, but I can't installed it. There's the same message about power pc applications. I cannot even select the icon.
huggles

Post by huggles »

Hey Floyd,

What model Mac are your trying to install the editor software onto? Does it have an Intel CPU or is it the Power PC CPU?

I think the editor software is designed to be run on an Intel CPU.

[edit]
Wait. I see at the roland support site that they do not list Mac OS X 10.7 as a supported version for the editor software, and that Power PC is supported...

System Requirements
Operating System ... Mac OS X v10.2 / v10.3 / v10.4 / v10.5 / v10.6
CPU/Clock ... Intel(R) Core(TM)/Xeon(TM), PowerPC G5

I wonder if they intend to provide a version that does run on 10.7 ??

H
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

My MAC has got an Intel i5 CPU.
Will I not be the only guy on the earth to have a MAC and this problem I hope??? A thousand of MAC have Intel CPU...I could try to install snow leopard (my sister has got it, and when I was studying how to use a MAC, the software run correctly on it), but I'd prefer to be able to install on mine.

I know that a lot of people have got this type of problems...Apple provided a software (Rosetta) with which you were able to install the power pc applications, but now Lion doesn't support that software...
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

The Juno-G Editor and Librarian are strictly PowerPC. They need Rosetta to work on an Intel Mac and therefore won't work under Lion (as you have discovered).

As a general rule, it is not possible to downgrade a Mac to an OS that is older than what was originally installed on it. How old is your Mac, Floyd?
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

I've bought it two months ago, JunoJohn, and Lion was already installed on it.
If i cannot downgrade a MAC to an older CPU, what should I do? A friend told me to install both Snow leopard and Lion, and use Snow leopard with the power pc applications...
huggles

Post by huggles »

JunoJohn wrote:The Juno-G Editor and Librarian are strictly PowerPC. They need Rosetta to work on an Intel Mac and therefore won't work under Lion (as you have discovered).
Thanks for this info JunoJohn. I was considering upgrading to Lion but have put all plans on hold.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Huggles, since your Mac can run an earlier OS, you can have a dual boot computer. You would install the earlier OS (Snow Leopard?) on one hard drive (such as an external drive) and Lion on another hard drive (such as your internal drive.) You could also do this by partitioning a single hard drive into two partitions.

When you need to run a PowerPC application, you would start-up (or restart) your Mac with the earlier OS. And when you want to return to Lion, restart with Lion.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Floyd, generally speaking it is not possible to install an operating system that is older than what the Mac originally came with. If your Mac's original OS was Lion, it will most likely never run Snow Leopard.

However, I should refer to your model of Mac and not just your specific Mac.

For example, the "Mid 2011" model of iMac originally shipped with Snow Leopard (10.6.6). After Lion was released, Apple switched to Lion on those iMac's. Since "Mid 2011" model iMac's did originally run Snow Leopard, it is theoretically possible to revert them back to Snow Leopard (10.6.6) even if they were purchased new with Lion already installed.

Try to find your Mac and its original OS on this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

I've got a MacBook pro (13 inch, Late 2011)
Date introduced: Oct 2011
Original Mac OS x included: 10.7.2
So, I cannot install an older operating system (Snow Leopard) on Lion.
The only solution seems to be creating a partition on my Mac, right? When I have to use a PowerPc I'll use Snow Leopard, and when I don't I'll use Lion. Is it correct?
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

I don't understand why the driver for Juno-g's editor and librarian for MAC OS 10.7 provided by Roland doesn't work on my MAC!! What I have to do? I need that program!!
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Floyd, you cannot use Snow Leopard on your Late 2011 MacBook Pro.

Here is an Apple article on the subject:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186#

You cannot run PowerPC applications on your computer.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Floyd, here are some "off the top of my head" suggestions for using the Juno-G Editor & Librarian.

1) Install Windows on your Mac and use the Windows version of Roland's software.

2) Buy an old PowerPC Mac just for running PowerPC applications.

3) Buy an old Windows computer.

4) Trade computers with your sister.
huggles

Post by huggles »

JunoJohn wrote:Floyd, here are some "off the top of my head" suggestions for using the Juno-G Editor & Librarian.

1) Install Windows on your Mac and use the Windows version of Roland's software.

2) Buy an old PowerPC Mac just for running PowerPC applications.

3) Buy an old Windows computer.

4) Trade computers with your sister.
Thanks for all this information JunoJohn, and I dont mean to shoot the messenger, but it seems absolutely ridiculous that Roland are not updating their software. Especially when they are now punting a "Version 2" of the Juno. Are us version 1 owners doomed to running our software on old Mac equipment until we decided to buy new gear? Also, one of the reasons folks buy a Mac instead of a PC is so that they can use Logic.

@Floyd, would it be too much to ask if could try and download the editor software on the Juno G Version 2 page? I could not directly verify of the version is an updated version simply because the Juno G version 1 page does not specifically give a version number for the editor software while the version 2 page does.

The link:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... s&p=JUNO-G

Please let us know.