Roland A-PRO pads problem

Forum for Apple Mac computers
radicalgel

Roland A-PRO pads problem

Post by radicalgel »

I just got the Roland A800-PRO MIDI keyboard and while the keys feel fantastic, the pads seem to be quite a joke. Even a light tap delivers a 127 vel output and it's very hard to finger drums with any feel. The pads are the only thing I miss from my old Axiom 25 2nd gen. Another issue is the pad aftertouch. Again it's too sensitive and peaks very easily. Also, I use Slate Drums and the aftertouch seems to be auto assign to choke so when I play on the pads, most of the cymbal hits get accidently choked and it's impossible to play. Is there anyway to disable the pad aftertouch and tweak the velocity settings to get a less sensitive, more natural response from these pads? I have played with the vel and AT curves but couldn't find anything that really works well.
PauloF

Re: Roland A-PRO pads problem

Post by PauloF »

radicalgel wrote:I just got the Roland A800-PRO MIDI keyboard and while the keys feel fantastic, the pads seem to be quite a joke. Even a light tap delivers a 127 vel output and it's very hard to finger drums with any feel. The pads are the only thing I miss from my old Axiom 25 2nd gen. Another issue is the pad aftertouch. Again it's too sensitive and peaks very easily. Also, I use Slate Drums and the aftertouch seems to be auto assign to choke so when I play on the pads, most of the cymbal hits get accidently choked and it's impossible to play. Is there anyway to disable the pad aftertouch and tweak the velocity settings to get a less sensitive, more natural response from these pads? I have played with the vel and AT curves but couldn't find anything that really works well.
Yes there is!
You can use the Front Panel Display to change any of the PAD or KEYBD Velocity courves or Aftertouch sensitivity parameters.

I'm not near mine now and I don't know it by heart, but the A-800 PRO manual explains it very well. Take a look to the manual.
Cheers
radicalgel

Post by radicalgel »

Well I know how to change the velocity and Aftertouch curves for the pads and keys. I want to know how to disable aftertouch on the pads completely.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

radicalgel wrote:Well I know how to change the velocity and Aftertouch curves for the pads and keys. I want to know how to disable aftertouch on the pads completely.
Using the Editor on the Mac:
1- Click on the PAD you want to disable Aftertouch from
2- At the bottom of the config window, check if AFT is OFF, if not just turn it OFF
3- Repeat points 1-2 for all other PADs

I hope this helps
Paulo