kernel_task spikes (roland drivers?)

Forum for Apple Mac computers
scofopolis

kernel_task spikes (roland drivers?)

Post by scofopolis »

Hello!

After many, MANY months of trying to figure out why my mac's fans were going bonkers, I was able to narrow it down t my computer's kernel_task eating up 50% or more of my CPU processor.

I thought it may have been my external soundcard, other applications running, etc... etc... Finally, after much deliberation, I figure out that the kernel_task would jump to 50%+ only when my Roland A-88 keyboard was plugged in.

Whether plugged in via midi through my soundcard, or usb into my computer (AC adapter ON), the fans go wild!

Bizarre that my computer never had this issue. I believe it started when I upgraded to high sierra (but I may be mistaken).

Could the Roland driver for my soundcard be possibly conflicting/incompatible/not opimized with Mac's current OS (I'm on Mojave).

Your insights are appreciated!
jblongz

Re: kernel_task spikes (roland drivers?)

Post by jblongz »

I can confirm that Roland's USB drivers send my kernel into overdrive. My A-88 controller sends my macbook pro fans into high thrust even when not using music software. I have other controllers that don't do this (Arturia Keylab Mk2, Akai Mini, Maudio 88es).

My guess is that the drivers were rushed out and no one followed up with optimization updates for MacOS.