Recording Studio

Forums for Windows PC computers
ksmarcolini

Recording Studio

Post by ksmarcolini »

I want to build a recording studio, but I am so recording dumb that I don't know what to get. Budget isn't really an option, however I just want to learn what to do so I know what to get. I am thinking about getting the Yamaha MW12 mixer. I am getting a laptop soon, so if I were to get the mixer, would I input all my instruments for my band in the mixer, and then use the USB to transfer them to my mixing program on my laptop? Do I need a digital recorder? What would that do if I had a mixer? I am just so confused in all of this recording equipment. I am only 16, and I want to go to school for this. However, I have the money enough for equipment. I just need the somewhat of a layout of connections. Can someone just explain something like:
laptop to mixer to...etc. or whatever. I just need a blueprint for it. Sory, but I am a newb. I need to learn this stuff. Thanks
kongwee

Re: Recording Studio

Post by kongwee »

There are many books on studio or home recording. Probably, you can search on the internal, I'm sure there are a lot of free information. Or you can go to soundcraft website to learn some basic stuff.

If you wanna to mix and transfer to laptop. There are many mixer out there with USB or Fireware interface. Some brand like M-Audio, Alesis, Mackie.
jangy

Post by jangy »

Hi ksm

You have a lot of reading ahead of you. A great site for you is TweakHeadz. The creator of this site has put a lot of hard work over many years to compile this info and it's geared towards newbies.

You're fortunate to be starting your recording studio now as almost all functions of older (and more expensive) studios have been replaced by software. Assuming you have all your intruments and amps etc, you would need a recording medium (ie. laptop, audio interface, sequencing software and audio monitors) and enough mics and cables to transfer the sound from your instruments to your audio interface. All mixing, effects, etc is done in the software.

Here's what my band used in my last demo recording, to give you an idea:

Recording Room
- PC (P4 2.6GHz)
- Steinberg Nuendo 3 sequencing software
- 2 x PreSonus FirePod firewire audio interface (each input is XLR or line) = 16 inputs
- 2 x powered Roland audio monitors

Live Room (sources)
- 7 drum mics (from a mic kit)
- 2 keyboard ¼" lines (balanced)
- 1 bass amp mic
- 2 guitar amp mics (1 direct and 1 ambient)
- 4 x vocal mics
------------------
= 16 sources

Depending on how much money you wish to put in, some variation of this setup would work fine for you.
SuperJX

Post by SuperJX »

Yep, definitely spend some time reading. Acquiring gear and learning to use it takes a lot of time-- I've been doing it for 20 years as a hobby and still feel like a relative noob.

Starting with the TweakHeadz site is a good thing. After digesting that info, I'd look into the homerecording.com site. Their forum has tons of excellent info about gear, studio construction, and technique.

Good luck!
SJX
ksmarcolini

Post by ksmarcolini »

thank you so much! I will be reading the next week.