mixer or audio interface?

Forums for Windows PC computers
msam

mixer or audio interface?

Post by msam »

hi...
I'm kinda debating on the mixer vs audio interface approach...
I kinda like the mixer because it has many knobs, sliders and things of that sort-i guess i like the hands on approach, but I have been informed that a mixer will only let me mix down '2 stereo mixes' whereas an audio interface will let me have individual tracks?

okay, I'm going to use Cubase, Nuendo, or Sonar for sequencing and was wondering if a mixer like the Alesis Multimix ($150) will let me track audio individually into cubase (i.e. Fantom X piano in track 1, korg triton strings in track 2, etc)...
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions you all may have,
thanks
The Box Drone

Re: mixer or audio interface?

Post by The Box Drone »

I think you need some fancy equipment in order to get seperated tracks onto your computer. If it can be done for under $200, I'd sure like to know how!

I have a behringer mixer that's plugged into a Tascam US-122. Honestly, I didn't notice any sound quality improvement when I graduated from the line-in jack on the back of my soundblaster to the Tascam.

I only get stereo input, but I just layer things... works for me.

I know the Project Mix I/O from M-audio will let you have multiple inputs, but it costs darn near $1500

Pearls of wisdom, no mistake, but I bought a Fantom-Xa anyways ;)
msam

Post by msam »

^^^
thanks for the reply,
you know I've been searching around and asking questions and came across the Presonus Firebox and Presonus Firepod audio interface....you can get them around $200 if your lucky..

I've heard great things about them, their audio quality is superb for a small little box...but since its an audio interface, you will have to do the mixing via software-based mixers...
but many have recommended me them over the alesis mixers....
Doctor C

Post by Doctor C »

You've been informed right. Audio interface with multiple I/O will let you record "...audio individually into cubase (i.e. Fantom X piano in track 1, korg triton strings in track 2, etc)... " All you'll have to do is set up appropriate buses in Cubase/Nuendo (don't know much about Sonar but the procedure should be similar). I do it all the time.

Let's say you have an interface with 8 Ins and 8 outs. If you want to record everything in stereo you'll be able to use 4 separate instruments hooked to your interface. E.g., Fantom X is connected to inputs 1 & 2, Korg Triton to the inputs 3 & 4, Motif ES to the 5 & 6, and Kurzweil to the 7 & 8. Cool rig ain't it? Now you go to Cubase's VST connections and set up 4 busses pressing "add new bus" button. Call first bus Fantom, second Korg, etc. Make sure you specify right I/Os for each bus. Go to Cubase mixer, record enable all four inputs and set record levels. That's it. Now you'll be able to play and record all four instriments at the same time into four individual stereo audio tracks.

It's quite easy to master. Nothing fancy.

Good luck!
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi msam, everyone.

As Doctor C said, you'll need an audio interface with multiple inputs to record separate instruments simultaneously. I don't have any experience with the M-Audio interfaces, but have heard pretty good things about them. I personally use a MOTU Traveler FireWire based audio interface (they go for about $850). One advantage the Traveler would have in your case (compared to the FireBox or FirePod) is that it has a built-in DSP-controlled 4 stereo bus mixer that does not require a computer connection to control. Mark Of The Unicorn is a rather Mac-oriented company and they have mixing console software for Mac OS X to control input levels, panning, mute, solo, bus sends, etc. from the computer (as opposed to using front panel dials). But if you use Windows, they also have multi-channel drivers for the Traveler, just no "CueMix" console software. In any case, if it's within your budget, you might consider checking it out too.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
msam

Post by msam »

Doctor C:
"Let's say you have an interface with 8 Ins and 8 outs. If you want to record everything in stereo you'll be able to use 4 separate instruments hooked to your interface. E.g., Fantom X is connected to inputs 1 & 2, Korg Triton to the inputs 3 & 4, Motif ES to the 5 & 6, and Kurtzweil to the 7 & 8. Cool rig ain't it?"

thankyou Doctor C, you just answered one of my biggest question...now I understand that each instrument takes 2 inputs...lol

nsheldon:
"I personally use a MOTU Traveler FireWire based audio interface (they go for about $850). One advantage the Traveler would have in your case (compared to the FireBox or FirePod) is that it has a built-in DSP-controlled 4 stereo bus mixer that does not require a computer connection to control. Mark Of The Unicorn is a rather..."

thanks nsheldon, I actually was looking at the MOTU also, but I'm afraid it's a bit more than my budget ($250)...it does look sweet though...plus I figured that for $850, I can get me another synth or kurzweil module to expand my sound pallete, so I guess the Firebox will do for now..
Jay_West

Post by Jay_West »

Well I would say use both I got Delta 66 4 ins 4 and out. So I use my mixer into the inputs and I track my mpc1k into it , understand? So get bread if you understand the concept and got the money.