Fantom-like MIDI sequencer for PC

Forums for Windows PC computers
allsynthpop

Fantom-like MIDI sequencer for PC

Post by allsynthpop »

Anyone can suggest a not-too-pricey software MIDI sequencer that would resemble that of Fantom. I'm talking about look and feel, and above all just being able to manually enter artbitrary MIDI messages, such as CC or PC to control external hardware. It doesn't have to be a full-blown DAW, just a sequencer and MIDI editor. Thanks!

by the way, if anyone knows, can i do this with abelton live?
nsheldon

Re: Fantom-like MIDI sequencer for PC

Post by nsheldon »

Though I haven't used it, Sagan's Metro 6 SE or LX might be of use to you. Not sure all the Fantom-X sequencer functions are replicated in there but from the description and screen shots, it looks like most of them are.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
allsynthpop

thanks!

Post by allsynthpop »

Thanks Nathan

looks interesting and the price is definitely ok.. unfortunately Mac only, so i can't use it as of now.. :-(
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Ah, so it would appear. Sorry that didn't help much.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

What about one of the cut-down versions of the "big" DAWs, like Sonar 4 Home Studio or something? You could get that for around $100 or less, and I'm sure you could enter (and edit) any MIDI message you want.
allsynthpop

Post by allsynthpop »

thanks, that may work. i'll look around.

i've tried this, however, with ableton live 5 LITE and it only allowed for 4 midi tracks unless you upgrade to the full version. they basically put each midi channel on a separate track, bank and program are set for a track, and i wasn't able to find a way to add cc and pc commands.

i wonder, is there a sequencer that just has an editable event list? not a piano roll or something but just a plain list of ALL midi events that i could open and edit, just as we do in the Fantom. i don't want it to be user-friendly or whatever, i'm not going to compose on it. i just want to load a midi file, edit control messages if needed and let it control my hardware.
da-man

Post by da-man »

Cakewalk Home Studio 7 is now about 7 years old and has everything you want. Up to 256 midi tracks if needed keeping in mind you can only have 16 instruments at once.

If you know anyone in the music computer scene you surely would be able to find a program they have long since discarded like the Cakewalk Home Studio etc....