Sonar 5

Forums for Windows PC computers
BucHum

Sonar 5

Post by BucHum »

Hi, everyone! I got my fantom x6 along with Sonar 5 Producer Edition 2 days ago. Been at it for hours now. Its freaking awesome! I've learned so much in 2 days now. I've created 4 songs and working on another one. A lot of reading and hands on, but nothing like it. :)

I've done 2 songs with the fantom alone, and 2 with Sonar 5. My question is what do you prefer sequencing on? The fantom or with a DAW? I like to do it either way.

I used to do all my work with a mouse and a computer. But after getting basic controls down with the x6, I dont know if using Sonar is necessary anymore :P

What else do you guys use Sonar for? The only thing I can think of is running vst's. I would like to hear what others accomplish with the both fantom and Sonar. Maybe by learning from others I can maximize my workflow or something. :D Thanks everyone
Still Learning

Re: Sonar 5

Post by Still Learning »

Hi BucHum welcome to the clan. It is pretty awesome isn't it? I use my X8 and an old version of Sonar as well as an old version of Sibelus and a free version of Acid. Personally I like using my X8 for sequencing, I like the hands-on capability, the loops mode, and being able to tweak the effects and the performance mode parameters (pan, chorus, reverb, octave shift, etc.) as laid out on the Fantom. It is a personal preference and everyone will have their personal preference. I also use Sonar and Sibelus for converting midi files into piano score which I print out. This helps me to learn new songs.
Take care...

---------------------------
When most people go to work they work. When musicians go to work they play. Which do you prefer?
nikita

Post by nikita »

Hi, Like I say on my post, I dont have my Fantom Yet.
I have Motif Rack ES actualy, and trade for the Fantom X7. If I malke this change, is because of the sequencer and all other stuff ( Knobs, switchs, pedals etc. ) and MOSTLY to get ride of PC or MAC usage.

I'm using Cubase SX3 or some time Sonar 4 Producer. Is nice yes, but not realy handy when you play.

I did the same for Wav recording, I get V Roland VS 2000 CD, for guitar effet, get a Boss GS-10 etc. All that to play ... well try to play. I dont like windows , all crash virus etc.

I Like my knobs etc. is more music, then a PC setup ....

This is my opigions ;-)
BucHum

Post by BucHum »

Thanks guys. The more I play on the x6, the more I love it. And I'm only touching the basics of it. I've been using the x6 for a couple of days now. So maybe its too early to find out what I can do with Sonar 5. But for right now, I'm doing all my songs on the x6. :)
ec_lkhaa

Post by ec_lkhaa »

I totally feel your excitement using Fantom for the first time. I am very satisfied with my X8 and eventhough I am just using its basic functions alongside Logic Express, its already enough to produce a very professional song.

I prefer editing on the computer because I am more a mouse guy, I don't like editing on the small screen though. But yeah, thats all personal preference.
da-man

Post by da-man »

Computer can give you some advanced editing power but I find sequencing so quick and easy on the Fantom once you get your head around it. Plus the ability to tweak sounds and effects etc... is great on the FAntom.

So mostly sequence on the Fantom.