reason 3.0

Forums for Windows PC computers
SPISHAK

reason 3.0

Post by SPISHAK »

I'm interested in trying REASON 3 because my friend has it. It came bundled with his prologic set-up he bought at the local "music conglomo" He has never used it, and will let me install it in my computer. But I am a knucklehead and am not sure if I need a HOST PROGRAM or SEQUENCER. I will use my X6 as the controller, but I've never connected to my computer other than to update the OS......no librarian,no saving,etc So any advice to get me up & running would be very appreciated. P.S. my friend is a knucklehead too so he can't help! I've watched him TRY to use prologic and it scrambled my brain & his too! thanx

------------------------------------------------------
A couple'o'quarts'o'beer makes it so the intonation does not offend yer ear!
SPISHAK

ooooops

Post by SPISHAK »

I just realized I put this in the wrong forum! Dammit Jim!!! Maybe one of the MODS can move it and answer at the same time :)

tzoid

Re: reason 3.0

Post by tzoid »

Moved to computers and software section as per request. :)

---
Fantom Resources : The Manual - Tutorials -The FAQ - Docs - Forum search - DVD Manual - Filesystem tips
HiveHead

Post by HiveHead »

Reason works stand alone. No need for a host program. I would think you will need a MIDI interface and a decent sound card for your PC. Remember that the Reason sequencer will not control sounds on the Fantom or any other external gear - theres no MIDI out.

Matthew
SPISHAK

Post by SPISHAK »

Thanx hivehead! I have a CREATIVE sound card, and will be using X6 as controller of reason thru usb 2.0. Those salesmen at my local guitar center were trying to tell me I needed a HOST for $200, otherwise it wouldn't work........BASTARDS!.....:)

HiveHead

Post by HiveHead »

Just a thought in defense of salesmen (yep - sometimes they can be right!) If he got the impression you wanted to record the Fantom sounds in Reason, then he has a point. Reason will not record audio (its a self contained environment). He may have been suggesting that you would need host software like SONAR to record the audio outputs of the Fantom and to use Reason as a Rewire device.

No offense to Creative but i think you might want to upgrade your card in time - IMO only.

Also, if you register with Propellerheads, you can get a free download of ReBirth which is just about the most fun you can have on a computer without viewing naked ladies ;0)

Matthew
SPISHAK

Post by SPISHAK »

Hey thanks, that IS nice to know, but I told him that I just wanted to play around with reason without recording out-board gear. At the time, I didn't even have a fantom OR any kind of controller! What kind of sound card would you recommend? And why wouldn't my current card be good enough? You must excuse me, but I truly AM a computer knucklehead! thanx :) Oh....what's rebirth?

tzoid

Post by tzoid »

You need to ensure that your sound card has low latency, ie delay between you pressing the key and hearing the sound. A latency below 10 milliseconds is good. In order to achieve that, your card must support ASIO drivers. My current, standard laptop soundcard has a latency of about 50 ms, which makes it pretty much useless.

---
Fantom Resources : The Manual - Tutorials -The FAQ - Docs - Forum search - DVD Manual - Filesystem tips
HiveHead

Post by HiveHead »

As tzoid says latency is the issue. I use an external audio/midi interface and control surface thats connected by firewire (Tascam 1082), so i cant recommend any specific internal cards. However, M-Audio have a good range thats cost effective and seem not to generate too many complaints - but theres plenty others out there. Beringer also have a range of audio/midi interfaces - and they are always incredibly well priced for what they offer.

Rebirth is a stand alone Roland TB303 emulation - in fact its two 303s plus 808 and 909 drum machines. I say its great fun because its free and you can make some great acid house tunes just for a laugh. It can be seriously employed however and there are plenty of dance records that have used it in the past. It can be integrated into Reason as well. If dance is not your thing it might be a waste of time downloading, but hey up until a year ago it cost £100 and now its free..........

Matthew
Dire Virtuoso

Try KX Project. It's just like majic

Post by Dire Virtuoso »

Creative soundcards (Live value or better) are good enough to run reason without the latency problem but not always without the kx driver. It's ASIO driver can reduce the latency under 10ms without any pain. This works just like majic! Download KX driver. It's completely free (http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1). But before installing or using this driver don't forget to read the FAQ. Hope this would solve your problem without buying an expensive souncard.
Dirty775

Post by Dirty775 »

ok i have reason and the same sound card and it works great. i love reason. best computer program for making beats. u can see a beat made with reason and recorded through acid pro on my page,

http://www.myspace.com/dirtytheunknown
its called free hip hop

the recording is bad quality cuz of the mixer i was using. not the sound card.

-RenoNv775TheNoTown-