notebook transformer noise

Forums for Windows PC computers
claudio

Post by claudio »

i've a satellite toshiba notebook.
When i use it with my fantom i can hear some noise caused by the electrical transformer.
How can i solve this annoying problem?
thanks claudio
bassman

Re: notebook transformer noise

Post by bassman »

claudio,

The only real solution to this type of problem is to isolate the source of the problem, in this case the power adapter for your notebook, from the Fantom.

Suggestions would be to make sure the power cable/transformer are not in close proximity to the Fantom and that the power cable is not tangled or strung in with any cables going to the Fantom.

Of course, you can also electrically isolate the notebook by plugging into a separate circuit or a surge protector that offers isolation. these are easy to find at electronic stores.

Hope this helps.

Bassman
Collback

Post by Collback »

I was just wondering if you were able to solve your problem.
I have a satellite Toshiba notebook also with the same problem. I replaced the transformer that came with the notebook with the transformer from my older Compaq note book for troubleshooting and the noise was reduced significantly, although it was still there somewhat. maybe just an aftermarket high quality transformer would solve the problem. I also have everything plugged into a UPS (uninterruptible power supply/surge protector).
neutron

Post by neutron »

it's simpler....
to remove the noise due to the Ground...
just remove the central 3rd pole on your final plug....
that's how i fixed my setup.
bye

work in progress
HiveHead

Post by HiveHead »

OK that will work - but you must add a cautionary note. The earth or ground is there for a reason - ie its a protective earth so that any electrical fault to the instrument chassis is routed to ground and does not make the instrument or computer chassis live. So its a personal choice, and not risk free. However it does clear the problem on my Dell notebook - i just made a converter lead that had the earth removed.

Matthew