Think Im screwed up

Forums for Windows PC computers
syvors

Think Im screwed up

Post by syvors »

Ive had FANTOM-X7 for a year and had a few queastions answered for me through the forum which has allowed me to do everything Ive wanted until now...I loved what I read, and bought SPECTRASONICS-ATMOSPHERE. The problem is Im ablivious to what I need to use it...More specifcaly, a HOST??? and I was told I needed a couple of other things to allow me to use it at all. I feel Ive screwed up by spending most of the money I put aside for fantom extras on something that will break me financially to use. PLEASE, HELP ME...tell me its not true! Thank you anyone.
bassman

Re: Think Im screwed up

Post by bassman »

syvors,

Operates as a virtual instrument software plug-in in all major hosts like Logic, Digital Performer, Pro Tools, Cubase SX, Ableton LIVE, Nuendo, Fruity Loops, Acid Pro and many other VST hosts.
*also works in Sonar 2.0 with a VST wrapper (not included)

The above info is directly from the product description on the Spectrasonics website. Yes, you need a host program to use this product. So, if you don't have one of the programs mentioned or something similar, you have another purchase to make in order to utilize it.

Bassman
kayvon

Post by kayvon »

There are some free plug-in hosts available to download I think.

Check out kvraudio and do a search for hosts and you should be able to find something simple that'll do the job.
syvors

Post by syvors »

Thank you very much "bassman and kayvon" that is what i needed to know (need a host and what it is and what to look for), just wondering...i was also told i may need a sound card ??? I have stock sound card in my pc with dual 3.00ghz and 512mb of ram and 180gb of hard drive memory,its a VAIO with pentium 4 processor. Do you think ill be ok?
kayvon

Post by kayvon »

Kinda depends by what you mean by 'ok' I would've thought the VAIO could do the job adequately but you may have problems with what's called latency. This is a delay in sound being produced by your softsynth when being triggered.

Most audio pc people upgrade their stock soundcard to get the benefits of 1/4" jack inputs and outputs, dedicated MIDI ins/outs and also optical/coaxial digital interfacing. The other benefits are also better sound quality, lower latency and usually a neat software interface for your soundcard settings.

What some of these home recording soundcards lose are things like 5.1 digital outs and onboard midi sounds although there are some that have these on aswell.

Best thing to do is to try you stock one out and see how it goes. If it sounds good enough to you it should be fine. If you get the latency problem you may even be able to sort it out by running some free ASIO4ALL drivers.

Hope this helps,

Pete.
syvors

Post by syvors »

kayvon, thank you for all your help
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thread moved to "Computers and Software". Bassman, you are fired!!! :-DDD
HiveHead

Post by HiveHead »

syvors

If i remember correctly, Computer Music Magazine includes CM Studio on all thier cover DVDs. This would act as a host to your software. Check out thier web site - they have a help forum on CM Studio.

I would definately upgrade the sound card if i were you. Atmosphere is reportedly a very fine piece of software and to get the most out of it you will need a good card IMO.

Matthew
bassman

Post by bassman »

Art,
I was gonna move the thread but had to go to the bathroom. . . . and then I got hungry and went out to eat. . . . ran into an old friend and started talking. . . stopped for some gasoline and then wanted some ice cream. . . .but the store didn't have the right flavor so I had to make my own.

Somewhere in there I forgot to move the thread!

Bassman
syvors

HiveHead

Post by syvors »

thanx, I was realy wondering if my sound card was sufficiant?, but your statement made up my mind. Any suggestions?...within financial reason? And thanx for the website info