Hard Disk problem

Forums for Windows PC computers
JazzXR

Hard Disk problem

Post by JazzXR »

Hi all,
I own a laptop with a 4200rpm HD. I try to make music with it and a E-MU 1616m. Now the question: An USB 2.0 Hard disk 7200rpm is more fast then my internal 4200rpm ???
tnx

---------------------------------------
::Rix::
da-man

Re: Hard Disk problem

Post by da-man »

A USB hardrive can only go as fast as the USB connection allows. I have a USB 2.0 320g 7200rpm portable HD and I don't believe it is any faster than an internal 4200.

I am not sure of the speed rate but I am sure it doesn't matter how fast your hard disk is you can only go as fast as USB 2.0 allows.

You might be able to do a quick search on google to find exact rates of speed.
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

really tnx...
I want to change my HD because, when I use Sonar, Dropouts occures often and I think that this can be an HD slow speed problem...what do you think?

da-man

Post by da-man »

I was wrong. Here is what I found on the Net. You will be better off with a USB 2.0 7200 drive.

A USB 2.0 connection can go 480mb/sec
A 7200 drive can only go 65mb/sec at its fastest. So the weakest link here is definitely the HD speed and in your case you definitely want a 7200 over a 4200.

Take a look at Maxtor's DiamondMax 10. Top of the line 7,200 rpm drive with a maximum transfer rate 65MB/sec. And that's maximum - grabbing data from the outer rim of the drive where things are fastest. At the inner edge of the drive its down to 35MB/sec. Either way, you're not going to saturate any of the internal interfaces with this drive, and even USB2 can keep up for the most part.

that clip was from this web page http://www.hanselman.com/blog/CommentVi ... 087f1e643a
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

tnx!!!!

PS:Do you know something about the CPU usage of an external HD drive?..I want a faster HD to make music better...but if the USB HD uses an huge amount of CPU... :|

da-man

Post by da-man »

Sorry--I've got no idea about CPU usage for HD data.

You could search the net and see if there is any or if there are other people recording to an external HD.
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

ok man...
thank you very much for the info