which sound card should i get

Forums for Windows PC computers
syvors

which sound card should i get

Post by syvors »

Hi! I need to make a choice between ( E-MU 1212m , M-Audiophile 192 , Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro , and M-Audio Delta 1010 LT ) Ive gone crazy trying to decide which one is best for me... I have Fantom x7 , and Spectrasonics ATMOSPHERE on my VAIO pentium-4 3.2ghz processor, 512mb RAM , and 180gb hard drive. Id like to play and record Fantom using ATMOSPHERE sounds via MIDI, while running sound out to balanced studio speakers from pc. Ultimately burning a cd. I dont know much about this stuff, all i know is i want my music to sound,be recorded,and burned with very clean, powerful results. I would be very appreciative if i could get some knowledgeable opinions. THANK YOU !!!
venkiee

Re: which sound card should i get

Post by venkiee »

syvors,

Based on my experience, and for your software setup, I suggest you go for M-Audio 1010LT or Emu 1212M.

But 1 problem with 1010LT is all the connectors are RCA which is unbalanced... But DSP Chips are good in M-Audio. Why dont you consider FW cards which have been tested and working well.. Here's my choice list..

1. Presonous FirePOD
2. Echo Audiofire 8 (Preferred due to less latency)
3. M-Audio Firewire 410

------------------------------------------
Venkiee

Fantom X6 (fully maxed)....Triton Extreme....Edirol MA-15D monitors....Rane SM82S....
Protools Digi002R....Reason 3....
Custom made PC....
raj_mbbs

Post by raj_mbbs »

Go for M-audio 1010LT.
I am using it, its great.But dont ever take creative sound cards.They are not upto the mark.
You can also look for the choices that venkie has given...

PLAY MUSIC EAT MUSIC THINK MUSIC
LET MUSIC BE UR NEUROTRANSMITTER..
-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------
ROCK ON.............

MY GEAR
----------

1.Roland fantom-s
2.Roland juno-g
3. Korg Triton extreme
4.Roland CM-30
5. M-audio delta 1010LT
6. Shure headset microphone
7. Roland Dr-20 mic
8.Roland powwered mixer
9.P4 3.6Ghz with 1gb ram.
10.Peavy monitors
--------------------------
syvors

thanx to both of you for your suggestions

Post by syvors »

Im curious... what about M-Audiophile 192, i believe it has balanced I/O and solid(low latency) drivers? .......Basicaly im nieve to most of this, so i dont want you to think im queastioning you guys, so as simply as i can put it, i have (what i feel) is pretty good songs on my Fantom and i want to get them to pc so i can add ATMOSPHERE's sounds to them, then do some mastering, then burn'm. I would realy appreciate any extra opinions on this from you guys,or anyone else... Thanx again for what you have told me, and thanx for anything more.
venkiee

Post by venkiee »

syvors,

As I mentioned earlier, the best one is the Echo Audiofire8 which works well based on a lot of user opinions than magazine reviews.

M-Audio cards are good. However, I dont suggest a card with RCA in/out.

Take my advise, save money, go for Echo Audiofire8 and be a trouble free user...

PS: I am not merchandising for Echo as all my views are based on atleast 10 or more feedback from Echo users in Singapore..

Peace........

Venkiee

Fantom X6 (fully maxed)....Triton Extreme....Edirol MA-15D monitors....Rane SM82S....
Custom made PC....
syvors

Thanx venkiee,

Post by syvors »

I think i was second guessing myself on what was the right choice for my needs.....You gave me my answer, and piece of mind for my purchase! THANK YOU
venkiee

Post by venkiee »

syvors,

My resistance towards RCA in/out cards like M-Audio (models mentioned by you only) and Creative stuff was mainly due to following reasons.

1. Sound quality loss due to unbalanced conections (Fantom has balanced outs where the sound card models you mentioned are unbalanced ins)

2. Play back quality loss.

PCI bussing causes noise sometimes..Hence cards based on PCI are generally getting away from the market except few..Firewire cards are catching up and good quality & stability, low latency... (Dont ever buy USB ones)

Best of luck !!!

Venkiee

Custom made PC....