ctimmerman

Mixer recomendations for home studio

Post by ctimmerman »

This is what I am looking for.

Inputs needed:
Fantom X. One for each output.
Speaker output from computer
Stereo input for tape deck
Stereo input for turntable (have some old hard to find stuff I need to put on CD)
I’m thinking minimum 12-16 so more can be added later if needed.

Outputs needed:
Main for room (or monitor)
Out to computer
Out to Fantom X
Out to tape deck.

I want to be able to route any channel to any or multiple outputs independently. Aux sends possibly?
Want to keep the price as low as possible as well, but will entertain all options.
The smaller the footprint, the better, but not a hard requirement. If an older model beast for a low price will do the job, I’ll make the room.

Carl
Fantom X-7, RD-300s
jstorms

Mixer

Post by jstorms »

There's tons of mixers out there as I had to research quite a bit before settling on the Alesis Giga Mix 8... had the most bang for the buck and came as a package deal from Musiciansbuy. Included two yamaha 14 in speakers with stands and two mics. Look at the live amp/recording (mixer) packages from any music supplier and you can find lots of good deals as well as top of the line high price units to do what you require. A good mixer is a must for home studio so be prepared to shell out the bucks for the higher watts and cleaner sound... but if you're like me and trying to keep from becoming musically indebted forevermore... look into the midrange 400-800 watt mixers with lots of ins/outs... less bells and whistles but get what you need.

Just Play It
ctimmerman

Re: Mixer recomendations for home studio

Post by ctimmerman »

Thanks for the info. Real good sound quality isn't high on the priority list since this is just a home practice studio for myself. Not doing any serious recording or anything. The most important thing for me is being able to route outputs where I want without having to re-cable.

Carl
Fantom X-7, RD-300s
venkiee

Re: Mixer recomendations for home studio

Post by venkiee »

Carl,

As said by jstorms., there are a lot in the market. If I look in to your requirement, you basically need a 8 channel mixer.

I presume that you have a pair of powered studio monitors. If not I can recommend one based on my experiments... :-)

Coming to mixers the options are as follows...

Behringer Eurorack UB1202
Samson MDR-10
Alesis multi mix 12R (Rackmount..I recommend this..great)
Alto mix 8
Yamaha MG8 or MG10

all the above are budget ones and work well

------------------------------------------
Venkiee
Fantom X6 (fully maxed)....Triton Extreme....Edirol MA-15D monitors....Yamaha 03D....
Protools Digi002R....Reason 3....
Custom made PC....