Audio Interface

Forums for Windows PC computers
trix

Re: Audio Interface

Post by trix »

any idea of what i can do, or any recommended models.
I would really like to spend as little as possible- under 100 GBP
venkiee

Post by venkiee »

Trix,

Out of all models mentioned, the choice is Presonus Firebox which has very good reviews from Professionals.

I would suggest you go for it.

------------------------------------------
VEN KIEE
Fantom X6 (fully maxed)....Triton Extreme....Edirol MA-15D monitors....Soundcraft Compact 10 mixer....
Tascam FW1804....Sonar 6....Reason 3....
trix

Post by trix »

hey venkie

thanks for the suggestion- i would take upt he firebox but, i do not think it has midi I/O....and this would be essential for me i fbuying an interface
venkiee

Post by venkiee »

No, It has a port which looks like serial port and they give you a cable with 1x1 MIDI IO.

Specs:

• High-Speed FireWire Network Audio Interface
•Plug and play FireWire (IEEE 1394) audio interface
• 24-Bit / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96K sample rate
• Record/playback 6 inputs/10 outputs at 24-bit/96K
• 2 PreSonus microphone/instrument preamplifiers
• 2 analog line inputs, 6 analog line outputs
• S/PDIF input/output
• MIDI input/output
• Low latency monitoring
• Headphone output
Powered via FireWire bus or externally
• Software router/mixer
• Windows and Macintosh compatible
• Fits MAXRACK rack mounting system
• FREE Cubase LE audio production software

------------------------------------------
VEN KIEE
Fantom X6 (fully maxed)....Triton Extreme....Edirol MA-15D monitors....Soundcraft Compact 10 mixer....
Tascam FW1804....Sonar 6....Reason 3....
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hey guys. I've actually been looking at this FireBox thing too. In fact, I had one for about a day, until I realized that I wouldn't need it, because I had already bought the M-Audio card. I'm wondering though if anyone else has had good experiences with the PreSonus. And can anyone tell me whether it would be faster or slower than the PCI card that I have right now? Can a FireWire interface be faster than a PCI card...?!

Stupid person here has an enquiring mind...

- SJ

Good night, and good luck.
http://www.sammyjames.com
trix

wow

Post by trix »

thanks venkie, the firebox looks amazing..

that mega hook-up pic was very useful for me- thats exactly the setup ill have going, minus the guitars and mpc.

some questions

1)
Is the MPC essential for a studio??? I was thinking about getting one...i heard its only good for drumbeats..

2)
Is SPDIF the same as optical or something, ive heard of it as digital. Im not sure about this- is it the wire with red and white plugs.

3)
If i connect my synth through SPDIF do i need to also connect it via line?

4)
What is latency like on this interface? I want the time for me to press the button on the synth and the midi to be sent to the computer and played throught the speakres from the synth to be instantaneous. I NEED as low as possible...

5)
Another thing I dont get is how one mic input can take 3 different guitars!...obviously missing something here.

I would be so grateful if all these doubts could be answered!

Thank You

Trix

p.s.

6)i have had one annoying thought...when i record midi in my sequencer, will i also need a seperate audio track for that midi track..as in the audio that the midi track triggers from my synth
trix

Post by trix »

anyone?
trix

please?

Post by trix »

i need to bump this thread as i really need my questions explained by some nice fellow with a bit of spare time at hand!

please let me know if my questions are too hard to interpret!

thanks for your time
trix

Post by trix »

*bump*
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

1 - No
2 - No, they're both digital but of diferent "format"
3 - No
4 - Usually the MIDI latency is negletable. I don't think you have to worry with that for now
5 - You don't take 3 different guitars to the same input at the same time. That is just an ilustration of the type of things you can connect.

venkie
Next time please show an ilustration with Roland gear. After all, we are the Roland Clan ;-))))
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

V-Cee forgot #6. The answer is, unfortunately, YES. If you want to use an external MIDI keyboard or sound module, then yes, YOU WILL need to set up at least one pair of audio tracks. (More if you actually WANT to go back to the beginning of the song, mute some parts, and record more stuff in... say, if you want to put a pad on a separate pair of tracks so that you can add different effects to it... et cetera...)

Alternatively, you could just say "screw it" to the MIDI keyboard, get an M-Audio Axiom 61, and use some of the soft synths that probably came with some of the sequencing software that you have bought. Unless you are morally opposed to doing that... or unless you have a slow computer.

Most of the better sequencers use VSTi synths. All that you need to do is mix down your project, and the computer will automatically convert the MIDI data into audio. It is the coolest thing around. This is what I do now.

- Sammy

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
http://www.sammyjames.com
trix

Thanks

Post by trix »

That really is a long one! So for 16 midi tracks, 16 audio also need to be added!
And even more for the VSTs.

Is optical the best way of recording? If so where i the optical output on the fantom x and where should i connect it to in the firebox.

For me it looks like the Firebox would be ideal as i will only be connecting my fantom x, 2 mics, and maybe something through the line in. And out to monintors!

A bit pricey though...200 GBP!

I wonder what sound quality etc is like...

AT THE MOMENT it is between the

M-Audio Firewire 410 Mobile Recording Interface
and
PreSonus Firebox 6x10 FireWire Recording Interface

dunno which one to choose- both same price i think but the m audio has optical aswell...

Thanks for all the help so far guys

p.s- venkiee where did you get the diagram from? It would be very useful if there were like taht that I could look at to see how my home studio can be set up!

Thanks