Audio Interface

Forums for Windows PC computers
trix

Audio Interface

Post by trix »

Hey

I realized that i need an audio interface to connect mics and my fantom x to the pc to record to my pc sequencer! Duh!!

First question- USB or Firewire!? I have both on my computer but which is better?
I have a small mixer, will i be able to connect that to the interface-interface to pc and all my audio inputs to the mixer and midi to audio interface- or jsut buy a good interface to put everything into??
I dont think I will be recording into many inputs at a time. Maybe vocals drums and keybaord at the same time. so three inputs max i guess.. and 2 needed for stereo keyboard...

Am I on the right lines?

Any reccomendations of interfaces i should go for, im trying to stay within £60.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
JazzXR

Re: Audio Interface

Post by JazzXR »

I own en E-MU 1616m. It works on PCMCIA bus (laptops) and it's awesome!!

---------------------------------------
::Rix::
Wilmar

Post by Wilmar »

Depends a bit on how many tracks you need to record at the same time. And how mobile/compact it needs to be.

Firewire proofed to be a very stable and fast solution for multichannel audio datatransfer. It can without problems transfer 24 channels of audio (or more). For mobile recording I like the MOTU interfaces because of their stable drivers and audio quality. The Tascam Firewire interfaces are less compact but of very good quality and with the FW-1082 and the FW-1884 you get a control surface, mixingdesk and 4 in/out midi interface too, so maybe they can replace some gear you allready have.

When 2 tracks at a time is sufficiend and the options above are too expensive, the Yamaha MW10 is a very small but nice little mixer with 2 tracks through USB and you get Cubase LE with that one. Very nice for starters, or for a small songwriting setup. Phonic and Alesis have a few mixers which use firewire in stead if USB that offer more audiotracks to and from your PC. (I often wonder if Alesis, Phonic and Behringer use the same production facility in China for their mixers and are just rebatching the products).

When going for a firewire interface one should always take one with ADAT IO. You may not need the extra input/outputs at the moment but there will always be a situation when you wish you could expand, and without ADAT IO an audio interface is restricted to the number of inputs it initially has. And the price difference is not that big.

With a PCI or PCMCIA based solution you are restricted to use a desktop PC (PCI) or laptop (PCMCIA) while with firewire or USB you can use both.
trix

Thanks

Post by trix »

Thanks a lot for your help so far..

I know that I defiinetly am not going for pci or pcmia- thats for sure.
Because with usb or firewire i can use it for any pc i wantwithout unscrewing my pc.

Mobility is not really an issue- i dont mind if its immobile. Only for use in one place mostly-i dont really travel and record.

I think if i connect my mixer to the interface in, and connect all my inputs to the mixer, it should be ok. Then, I would only need outs for headphones and monitors...

I think i need some further advice and model names. I want something under 100.

Thank You
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi trix.

I use a MOTU Traveler (it's FireWire) with great success. However, I don't think you're going to find much at all for under $100. You might find a simple 2-in/2-out USB setup, but that'd be about it for that price. Sorry, can't make any recommendations in that area.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
trix

Thanks Nathan

Post by trix »

Thanks for chipping in nathan,

i was looking at 100 pounds (UK) which is a bit more than 100 dollars (US).

I think the key questio here for me, is if i need more than 2 X I/O.

As I have a mixer do i need more than 2?

I think I will be mainly using the interface as a soundcard...

Thank You
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Hi Trix:

If you have a notebook PC, then get a Firewire interface. I think that Behringer makes a pretty inexpensive one. You can use your mixer and input stereo. If you are really not going to use the inputs on the interface, then don't kill yourself over it.

If, on the other hand, you want to have several inputs at once, then you will NEED to get a FireWire or PCI card. If you spend a bit more money than 100 # or 100 euros, then I would recommend the Alesis FireWire MultiMix boards. But I would stay away from USB. The claims about USB 2.0 as being "really fast" are doubtful. I've never had good experiences with USB audio.

- Sammy

Good night, and good luck.
http://www.sammyjames.com
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi trix.

Ah, sorry about that. I saw "100" in the context of money without knowing where you were from and assumed US dollars. Yes indeed, 100 pounds should get a decent 2 in/2 out interface. You may not need more than 2 in/2 out if you have a decent mixer and only plan on recording one stereo track at a time (or 2 mono tracks at a time). Personally, I would prefer to go through as few analog circuits as possible before the audio gets into the computer. Going from the synth analog output to the mixer analog input, then from the mixer analog output to the analog input of your audio interface before being converted to digital with the ADC may introduce some unwanted noise. Then again, if you have a good analog mixer, that noise might be within acceptable levels for you. With my setup, I go from Fantom-X analog output to analog input on the MOTU Traveler (which has very low noise ADCs). I have my V-Synth digital out connected to the Traveler's S/PDIF digital input. I have a condenser mic connected to one of the phantom powered mic inputs on the Traveler. Using this setup, I can record the V-Synth and Fantom-X into separate stereo tracks and the mic into a separate mono track all at the same time into Logic Pro. If simultaneous multi-track recording is not something that you need, then there's probably little need to use a multi-input interface.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
trix

obvious answer?

Post by trix »

I have checked out models like the

PreSonus Firebox 6x10 FireWire Recording Interface

M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface.

M-Audio Firewire 410 Mobile Recording Interface

One thing I noticed is that there are many more outputs than imputs. In this case there are only ever 2 inputs. that means i can only connect my stereo fantom x. (But i guess this is absolutely fine as I will connect my mixer via stereo into the only 2 inputs).

But why are there so many outputs and what do people use them for? surely they are only needed to connect to monitors? or is there more to them? (where are they connected to)

I do not understand the mic input, its seems to be a bit strange to me. The mic i have has 3 pins in a triangle shape. This input looks a lot different.

1 more thing, I wonder what latency is like..
USB midi from my fantom to pc is really poor..atleast 1 second latency. And its really not easy to work with!!!
Is firewire quick enough?

Also, when i record using my fantom x, will al 16 tracks be recorded on different midi tracks? and would i have to make seperate audio tracks to record the midi data which is being played by the fantom x?as in 16 midi tracks and 16 audio tracks plus any other audio tracks...

Please fill me in on these things i dont understand.

Thank You
trix

Post by trix »

any help please?
Krokodilen

Post by Krokodilen »

Hi trix,

You can use external effect chains by routing from a soundcard out threw the effects and then in again. Different speaker set-ups, one out for studio monitors and some for control listening, hifi, boombox what ever.

The mic connector looks like it does because in the middle you can also connect a std teleplug besides your 3 pin XLR mic.

Latency: The time it takes from your action (hitting keys etc.) until you hear the result.

How am I doing so far?

K
trix

thanks krok

Post by trix »

I get you so far,
but i was wondering what latency would be like with a firewire/audio interface (midiwise and audiowise).
As I mentioned before, usb-midi from fantom to my pc is really slow and irritating. I hope if i get an interface with midi it will be a lot faster...

also, if i only have 2 inputs, that means I would HAVE to connect my mixer in order to put in more inputs..

i still dont really understand why there are more outputs than inputs in any case!

thanks
da-man

Post by da-man »

also, if i only have 2 inputs, that means I would HAVE to connect my mixer in order to put in more inputs..
you could record 8 things at once if you have an 8 channel mixer but it will all get recorded on one track on your pc if you only have one input.

The only reason you would want multiple inputs is if you are recording drums, a band, or a piano and mike etc....

i still dont really understand why there are more outputs than inputs in any case!

Kroc explained lots of outputs because people run them to speakers, to eternal effects processors etc... at the same time.
Krokodilen

Post by Krokodilen »

Maby Hercules 16/12 can be something to consider? Lots of ins. Not that pricy...

In reviews this card makes it rather well.

K
trix

Post by trix »

that interface is way beyond my budget seeing as tho i spent quite a lot on a mixer..

what are the opitcal and digital I/O for?

I think my ideal interface would be 2 X I/O, 1 X Midi I/O and 2 headphone jacks. Not sure if i need digital and optical though...

thanks