Audacity

Forums for Windows PC computers
Midnight_showgirl

Audacity

Post by Midnight_showgirl »

Firstly i just want to thank everyone who helped me with my issues about recording! Thank u! i have now found a way to do this using audactiy. my only issues now are about quality.

Basically when im recording in audacity, the end result sounds echoey and very bassy -

so wat ivwe done is import an audio track (an mp3 song) into audactity as one stereo track, and then ive added an audio track and recorded my fantom sounds there. however once the recording is finished and i play abck both tracks the sound is awful - sounds all echoey and a bit distorted. ive tried applying various effects but to no avail - any ideas anyone? or does anyone know where i cna get a good online audacity amnual? or mayb its soemthign im doign wrong?

i connect my fantom to my laptop using two jack leads, which i connect to the laptop using an adaptor which inserts into the mic in input.

many thanks in advance!
rogerp1

Re: Audacity

Post by rogerp1 »

The problem with recording into your mic socket is that it will only record in mono.

The only way around this is to use an external usb sound card with a line in jack.

Is Audacity the linux app? or are you running windows?

You could try recording into a basic sound recorder app instead of Audacity just to see whether it is Audacity that is the problem.

Other than that you could play around with the settings of your mic input in your mixer...try it with and without mic boost and try adjusting the input levels.

F XA SRX07 Guitaristsongwriter Trying to get to grips with Synths
Midnight_showgirl

hi roger,

yes i might buy an audio interface, but its not the fantom sounds that are the problem....its the original song i imported into audacity that comes out sounding echoey once ive recorded over it with fantom. any ideas? thank u!
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

thread moved to Computers and Software
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Midnight_showgirl

I don't think I'll be able to check it for you today but, meanwhile, try Audacity's HELP. I remember seeing something about "time shifting" in it.
Midnight_showgirl

Hi V,

Ok thanks i will check that. im another another problem now tho. when i select - export as mp3, i get this long error message...

Audacity does not export MP3 files directly, but instead uses the freely available LAME library to handle MP3 file encoding. You must obtain lame_enc.dll separately, by downloading the LAME MP3 encoder, and then locate this file for audacity. You only need to do this once.

(i then clicked YES to locate the file)

then another box popped up and i clicked OPEN

then i got this message:

Could not open MP3 encoding library!

does anyomne know wot i can do about this?! i am perservering, but am only managing this with your help! thank u!
sunfly143

Post by sunfly143 »

{mics are for mono signal only}.... and obviously your sound source is using a stereo signal out and you therefore obviously...are inputting to your laptop mic input with a stereo jack.....{put away that soldering iron and banish it to a cupboard}....but it must be a mono jack... {which you know by it only has one black ring not two as a stereo one has on the pin section of a jack}....which is causing the sound to distort..... problem solved,i know this because i have made the exact same mistake.Except i was doing it right in the first place and tried inputting a stereo signal and that causes the sound to distort.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi again,

the error message says it all.
download the LAME encoder HERE
Then you just have to point the enconder once to Audacity and youl'' be fine :-)
Midnight_showgirl

ive downloaded it but it says windows doesnt recognize the file!? why is this so hard???????????!!!!!!!!!!!! can someone point me to a direct link for this software that windows will recognize! please!
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Midnight_showgirl

Windows doesn't need to recognize it, only Audacity :-)

- Open Audacity
- Go to File-Preferences
- Click the File Formats tab
- On the "MP3 Export Setup" click "Find Library"
- Audacity ask you to locate the LAME file - click YES
- Browse through your folders and find the LAME file (where you have saved it) - click Open
- Set the Bit Rate of your liking
- Click OK.