Celeron M Processor - Aaahhh!!!

Forums for Windows PC computers
mark merton

Celeron M Processor - Aaahhh!!!

Post by mark merton »

I had my eye on MBOX2 (ProTools) but was informed that ProTools will not run on a Celeron M Processor - I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 Laptop with 512 Meg RAM. Will the Edirol UA-25 or UA-101 do the job? I really like these audio interfaces.
Mark
SammyJames

Re: Celeron M Processor - Aaahhh!!!

Post by SammyJames »

Hey Mark:

First, the Celeron M is not a good "multimedia" processor, at least, not for recording and playing back music. These days you really need a computer with two cores -- like an Intel Pentium D, or the newer and more power-efficient Intel Core2Duo.

Secondly, not even ProTools M-Powered works with the Edirol. You need to own an interface that is made either by Digidesign or M-Audio for the software to work at all.

Third, even the "free" Pro Tools program will only work on pre-Windows-XP operating systems, such as Windows Me. So, your computer, which sounds newer to me, probably won't even run the old PT stuff... and finally...

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, is that the Edirol interface is not the issue. The issue is that your computer is better-suited to filing your grandma's pie recipes than it is to creating your next sonic masterpiece. Consider buying a better one. I recommend a Mac. At the least, look at Sweetwater, musicxpc, and Terra Digital Audio, for places to research ProTools PC systems.

By the way -- I'm typing this message on MY Dell Inspiron B120. I wouldn't even consider trying to record a Bar Mitzvah on this thing. I am afraid of it. I really, really am... like, it will probably literally catch fire if I even think about using it as a music computer.

***IT SCARES ME***

- Sammy

Sammy James has been approved for use by people who need approval.

http://www.sammyjames.com/music.htm
mark merton

Out of the woods and back into the forest!!!

Post by mark merton »

Thanks for that Sam. Well I'm now looking at the relatively new Zoom HD16 and HD8 Recorders - everything done in the box: recording, mixing, burning to CD. No overheads but I havn't head much in the way of reviews on these devices. They're much cheaper than the Yamaha AW1600 though Yamaha are well established in this area; I'm not sure about the pre-amps and the Zoom recorders only fire at 16-bit not 24 bit.
Mark
SammyJames

Re: Celeron M Processor - Aaahhh!!!

Post by SammyJames »

Mark:

Yes, I think that this might be a good idea. Computers are great for a lot of things, and if you plan to produce a lot of music by other artists, you really can't go without one. But if you plan to record your own demos, and even if you plan to record full albums, the self-contained DAW is still a viable way to do it.

I think that Yamaha does rule in this area, especially in the around-$1,000 small-format DAWs. Roland makes great stuff too, and you could look at some of the Boss stuff. The last time that I looked at those, they were selling the BR line, which has good preamps and some nice editing features.

I also think that you could be okay with the Zoom stuff, but I agree that they are under-reviewed, and they look a bit on the cheap side to me. I liked that Yamaha AW 1600 thing, and I had considered buying one at one time. I can't use such products anymore, because I'm focussing more on my own synthesis and sequencing stuff. But again -- you are probably on the right track to consider alternatives to the computer recording idea.

Some day I hope that some of these manufacturers will get together and come up with an even better way to use an off-the-shelf concept to create a good music system. I would love to be able to buy something that has been tested as a music computer only, and that has specs that tell me exactly what it will and won't do. Until that day comes, I'm happy with my Mac.

Take it easy.

- Sammy

Sammy James has been approved for use by people who need approval.

http://www.sammyjames.com/music.htm