EastWest Products, Kontakt and other Computer-based things

Forums for Windows PC computers
Bbbumpy

EastWest Products, Kontakt and other Computer-based things

Post by Bbbumpy »

First of all, Welcome aboard, Atomic Monk!

In one message, someone was curious as to why AM tended more towards hardware rather than software-based scoring resources for his soundtracks. Being a tad behind the curve, I didn't know that software-based composition AND synthesis/sampling had come SO far. So, here's the question for a one-finger player like me: I'm planning on getting the Lexicon Omega that comes with the bundled Cubase LE, do do my synth drums/strings/pads, while I do the guitar and bass on the Fantom's audio tracks and/or Cubase LE. Would I gain much from also (eventually) coughing up $400 or so for one of EastWest's packages if it includes Kontakt? And, what are competitive programs with Kontakt. As far as I understand, Kontakt is the standard by which others are measured.

I know this question is unfocused and rambling, but I'm trying to have a small studio that can do pretty much everything.

Thanks in advance!

-Russell
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: EastWest Products, Kontakt and other Computer-based thin

Post by Artemiy »

Well, as far as the actual DAW goes, it's a matter of taste. But for a sampler, I think Kontakt is the most flexible of them, but also probably the most unnecessary complex to use. There is also Sampletank, Halion (from Steinberg, maybe there's a version with Cubase LE?) and a few others, but these are pretty basic. Kontakt 3 has been announced recently, should ship in October, and it looks nice: more features, but a new, more intuitive and simplified interface. Check out the demo version when it's available.

Moving this over to Computers and Software.
HiveHead

Re: EastWest Products, Kontakt and other Computer-based thin

Post by HiveHead »

Be carefull - third party software houses use the Kontakt front end, but it is not the full version of Kontakt. I have a few old sample libs that use a Kontakt (maybe its Kompakt?) interface with a few modulation and filtering features - but it sure is not Kontakt (which i also own). Just check it out first. I got a deal at B&H Photo Video for Kontakt 2, the tutorial DVD and Kontakt experience for around $200.

Matthew