Slowest processor for DAW use?

Forums for Windows PC computers
MrPillow

Slowest processor for DAW use?

Post by MrPillow »

I have a chance to get a new system for really really cheap but it only has a 1.6ghz Intel Dual Core processor. Will this be fast enough to run say, Sonar 7, Akoustik Piano, etc? If not I can always install a better processor but I'd rather not. Thanks.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Slowest processor for DAW use?

Post by Artemiy »

I have a 1.83 GHz Core Duo, with GarageBand on my Mac. It is pretty fast keeping in mind it is running on just one core, I can use at least 20-30 effect plug-ins on 10 or so audio tracks and all goes well. Not sure how it will go on a PC, but you should get similar performance.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

I don't think so. I'm running a 2.33 GHz Core2Duo on my Mac. Akoustic Piano will crash your stuff in a heartbeat, unless you play without ever using the sustain pedal. Seriously -- I use the Kontakt 2 Steinway -- not even the good one -- and it always crashes my projects. I do so need to get that Receptor thing, and soon...

- S
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sammy, what does crashing have to do directly with processor speed? Especially that large sample libraries are streamed off the hard drive. It depends on the plug-ins and the host you have, they can be buggy in some ways.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Artemio:

I don't know! Honestly, all that I can talk about is my own experience. Although you bring up a good point (about hard-disk streaming) the way in which the Kontakt program works, I still have problems.

The processor does come into play. I don't know why! Really! But I can tell you that Cubase has a "processor monitor" that shows you what the chip is doing. For instance, I once used the piano that came with Kontakt, and I noticed that when I held the sustain pedal down, the polyphony would "stack" notes. The result was that the processor would start choking -- the audio would crackle and pop, and the sound would drop out. And the point here is that the monitor was showing peaking at the processor level. The disk was fine, but the chip was overloaded.

That is what I know. I don't claim to be an expert in sample streaming. I'm just relating the problems that I've had. And you may be correct about the host. Akoustic Piano runs off of its own host, so Kontakt may be buggy.

Your mileage may vary.

- Sammy
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi MrPillow.

1.6 GHz will be fine for moderate projects that use a few plug-ins. For large sample set libraries, the biggest contributor to speed is going to be amount of RAM and speed (and size) of your hard drive/s. If you plan on using sample-based libraries that stream samples from hard disk, you're going to want at least 2 drives (one for your system and programs, the other for data). You'll also want a crap-load of RAM (4 GB would be good but 2 GB would do in a pinch). Windows Vista is resource hungry (especially without significant tweaking) so with a 1.6 GHz system, I'd strongly suggest Windows XP SP2 (32-bit version). You could also get a Mac mini with an external USB 2.0 or FireWire hard drive and maxed-out RAM if you're looking for low-cost Mac solutions.
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Nathan:

You helped me to better understand this. Thank you.

- Sammy
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi Sammy.

Glad I could help. I hope it was also of some help to MrPillow as well.

Kind regards,
Nathan