Rob Papen Softsynths

Forums for Windows PC computers
RestLes

Rob Papen Softsynths

Post by RestLes »

Any users and/or feedback on the quality of these synths.

I'm curious about the overall sound and ease of use of his products.
jessej

Re: Rob Papen Softsynths

Post by jessej »

I just tried the Rob Papen Predator on my friends computer and it's a really nice 3 osc synth with a lot of waveforms and nice filters. Good mod matrix too. If you're into presets, it had quite a lot of those.

I have the Waldorf Blofeld, so I'm not in the market for a 3 osc synth at the moment, but if you are it is quite worthwhile checking out.

They have a demo version I see:
http://www.robpapen.com/predator.html

At 149€ it's not bad at all, but i like hardware better myself.

Oh and if you want to get unexcited a little, do have a listen on youtube on what kinda music Rob Papen makes himself.. It disapointed me. I didn't hear talent, but maybe he is a better synth designer.. :)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I looked into Rob's synths and what can I say, they are nice, but sound a little too standard, too generic.

I much prefer NI's works for their charismatic yet super-smooth sound, I am totally in love with MASSIVE. If you need a VA-like synth with some more twists, go for it, you'll never regret. It's easy to use with drag-and-drop modulation, and lots of flexibility under a simple interface.
jessej

Post by jessej »

It's true what Art says, I agree For just 40-50€ more you get a lot more in Native Instruments (NI) Massive.

Speaking of ease of use, while your at the NI website, you should also check out NI Kore player + soundpacks.

I've had some clients who are using these and all are getting very nice results.

But at 199€ you could get the whole Logic Express package too. How does people (Art?) feel about the synths included in Logic Express? The included E2S is a 3 osc synth with a modulation matrix. Maybe we need another thread on 3OSC synths?

- Jesse -
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Jesse, I do not have Logic and never used it. The thing is I am doing more sound designer than composing music, so I am totally fine with GarageBand and extra instrument and effects plug-ins. I mostly use NI MASSIVE as my main software synth, as well as plug-ins from Audio Damage.

I tend to limit myself to the amount of stuff I have as much as I can, doing a lot of research with demo versions: how they sound, how flexible they are, how easy they are to operate. After some time, 99% of software gets out of my wish list pretty quickly. Having as little gear and software as possible, but the one you actually love to use, makes you learn it much better and deeper.
jessej

Post by jessej »

I totally agree. Learn one instrument inside out, instead of having a ton of different things you only scratch the surface of.

I feel like a wizard on my JP-8000, but it only has 2 oscillators. Basically I'm in search of a "modern 3osc JP-9000" myself.

Have u tried the NI Reaktor Art? I was working on Reaktor for 2 weeks a year ago and it is really powerful. I remember reading the 400+ page manual in the train and then straight into the studio to work with it.. :D really great stuff! I might get that one at some point also, but not now as I have a lot of new gear to learn here at my home studio. (Fantom G, Blofeld, Korg Legacy & Logic Express all acquired this year).
stanley

Post by stanley »

hi there,

i do use rob papens synths ... i love the albino 3 n blue...predator is not that great for me....i guess u can tweak the entire sound collection.....its good for trance music...the patches r bold n strong...

Just sharing...Hypersonic 2 is an all rounder for me.....one of my best Softsynths.....