PC DAWs and Interface for instrument/vocal input

Forums for Windows PC computers
Patrick_

PC DAWs and Interface for instrument/vocal input

Post by Patrick_ »

I have a Fantom X6 and the original VS880. While the VS880 has served me well over the years, I'm a visual person and I am considering getting Sonar. I've used the Cakewalk Home Studio versions 7 and 9 for years, but primarily for MIDI.
I have sort of skimmed over the messages and haven't found any real meaty info about using Sonar with the Fantom. With George W's $300 rebate check coming soon, Sonar 7 is looking more and more possible. My main question is about the interface. I play guitar(my main instrument) and I have 1/4 inch inputs on the VS880. What kind of interfaces does anyone here use to record guitar/microphone on a computer? I have two mikes(Peavy and EV). Of course, 1/4 inch guitar cables.
I've looked at the Sweetwater catalogue and have also visited the websites of the manufacturers of the kind of equipment I would need, but I'm interested in the feedback of people who are actually using computers and software DAWs. Any advice/admonitions/mom's secret recipes?

Also, I'm sort of daydreaming about recording the fantom's audio out in Patch mode into a PC DAW audio track. I can see the day when I put something together that maxes out the Fantom's Effect capabilities and aside from resampling and using the audio tracks in the Fantom, I recognize the versatility of having a PC DAW available to do the same thing. Is anybody doing or has done this?
And yes, I know the Fantom has 8 audio tracks. I love the Fantom's audio capabilities. But I'm talking more about an interface on a PC screen that shows alot more and has alot more in terms of editing features. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.
Patrick_

Re: PC DAWs and Interface for instrument/vocal input

Post by Patrick_ »

Well, this was either a stupid question or nobody knows. Personally, I thought it wasn't a stupid question, but then I'm the one who asked it... :P
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

I'll try and assist here...

I use a PCI based sound cad with 8 inputs plus optical inputs.

I record voice with a mic that plugs into an XLR socket on the sound card's break-out box and these connectors also accept input from guitar.

Other input take the audio from a Fantom XR and a V-Synth GT.

I would advise either a Firewire interface or a PCI interface.

Recording the Fantom onto an audio track is easy to do with a DAW, I use Cubase 4.

The benefit of this is that you can record the Fantom without any effects and use effects on the DAW if you want, plus like you say you can max out the Fantom's effects pretty quick and by recording to audio track you can use all 3 mfx differently for each patch.

There is so much I could talk about here, your post is very open ended, a good idea would be to get on the Sonar forums and ask the people what interfaces work best with Sonar respecting your audio requirements.

Don't buy anything until you have done your research ;)
Patrick_

Post by Patrick_ »

What's your experience with latency with a PCI card? Also, how is PCI for recording two or more simultaneous audio tracks? I am aware of the Sonar forums but it's kind of pointless to start posting there until I am using Sonar. My timeline is to buy the interface first, then the software. I do not own Sonar at present(I have Home Studio 9-use mainly for MIDI).
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

Latency is good, around 4ms in and 7 ms out with a 128 buffer and no crackles/pops.

I've only ever recorded 1 audio track at a time so can't say about two or more at once.

When I export to audio file though I have no issues with 3+ instruments at a time and I think this is pretty much the same as recording to audio tracks all at once.
Patrick_

Post by Patrick_ »

Well, I bought an Emu 1616m PCI interface and having had it for a few weeks, everything works fine. I found some info on the web about optimizing your PC for audio and my PC hasn't choked on any of it yet.
I must be getting smarter or something because everything works the first time. This has never happened before. Usually I go through periods of great frustration where I can't get anything to work, but this is just plain weird. I'm glad this thing came bundled with LE software because the LE software is hard enough to figure out. I can't imagine what the full versions are like. But like I said, it all works, and I'm the happiest camper around. I plugged my Fantom X6 to my PC via SPDIF and did multitrack song using Patch mode in the Fantom. Who needs a G when you have digital in and out? J/K.
The creative possibilities that have opened up in front of me make me happy. Life is good.

EDIT: I have been doing two audio tracks simultaneously...vocal and guitar, both miked, with no problems whatsoever.